Hirondelle's Reviews > The Silver Devil

The Silver Devil by Teresa Denys

Nov 15, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: historical-fiction, not-my-cup-of-tea

Vile. Of all books I have read, this is in strong contention for having the most vile plot and characters.

I got recommended this because of some similarities to a series I loved (Lymond). And the setting sounded interesting, a sort of historical romance set on renaissance (fantasy version) Italy. Now the cover and blurb warn you this is a old-school boddice ripper (of the old old kind, not the wider derogatory term applied to generic romance novels, clothing really got ripped in anger). It is. And it is totally unlikeable, over-the-top without being fun, hateful gender roles, without any humour or self-consciousness from the author to make it camp. Horrible horrible book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Silver Devil.

11/15/2009 page 100
26.04% "a real old time boddice ripper. Stockholm syndrome full attach, oh dear. But still weirdly compelling...."
11/17/2009 page 383
99.74% "This is all just VILE."
03/06/2017 marked as: read

message 1: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Your review makes me sad to see all the 4 and 5 stars this got. Sounds horrible.

Hirondelle It´s an undescritable book - I think maybe the problem is me taking it seriously! ( but not funny enough to be funny). Weird weird book - though I admit, it is interesting in how extreme it is.