Jazz's Reviews > The Waters & the Wild

The Waters & the Wild by Francesca Lia Block

Nov 15, 2009

I fell in love with Francesca's Weetzie Bat series in high school and since then have been convinced that nothing she writes can ever top the characters and modern faerie tale stories in those books.

The Waters & The Wild came very close.

The only problem I have with this book is that it is too short. I wish Francesca had written it as a full length novel. By the end, there is so much more to explore. Why was Bee switched for a changeling? How will all of the characters live when so much of what they knew of the world has changed?

If you've ever felt like you don't belong, and all of us have in one way or another, you'll find yourself in this book. I really connected with Bee, Haze and Stephanie, not only because they felt they belonged somewhere else, but that there was a place they needed to get back to. The difference in finding a place to belong and returning to a place where you belong may seem subtle, but I think it is vast. Returning is reclaiming who you used to be, but often times you can't go back unless you go forward. Is that a paradox?

Francesca weaves in other themes such as war. War between the world and war between peers, the outcasts and the popular kids. But it isn't the typical dynamic you see in a lot of books. Bee and her friends aren't afraid of the popular kids. They don't long to be them. They crash their parties and fly away. Francesca's prose is so lyrical I found myself side by side with the characters as they soared and sang and were covered in the earth.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Waters & the Wild.