Amy's Reviews > Everwild

Everwild by Neal Shusterman

Nov 14, 2009

bookshelves: ya-ya-ya, childhood-love
Read in November, 2009

The second of a planned trilogy, EVERWILD picks up a unspecified (but probably short) time after Everlost ends. And wow...I thought EVERLOST was good, but EVERLOST blows it out of the water in every way, shape, and form possible... A sequel that was better than the first!

EVERWILD continues the story of Allie and Nick, but their stories diverge as they pursue separate goals; Allie sets off with Mikey to find her parents in hopes that she might put her spirit to rest, while Nick finds himself against Mary Hightower in a race to find and use the lost children of, well, Everlost, for their own plans. Along the way, we are introduced to several new and unique characters that make the book that much more awesome.

Honestly, I don't think I could possibly give EVERWILD a summary worthy of its content. The summary above is only the beginning of a long and thrilling adventure. Shusterman wowed me beyond belief with his unending talent and beautiful writing, and it's clear that he pays meticulous attention to every aspect of the story. EVERWILD is a very layered book and each subplot is as interesting as the next. There are no dull moments, and I was very pulled into the story and experienced suspense and excitement and nervousness and thrills right alongside the characters. Shusterman manages to pack adventure, action, suspense, and comedy into one superb novel.

In EVERWILD, Shusterman delves deeper into the personalities of the main characters, whom are mainly Allie, Nick, and Mary. Allie and Nick are clearly protagonists, and very interesting ones at that, but I loved how Shusterman had a character like Mary, whom you couldn't be sure was truly evil or not and seemed insane yet sane, twisted yet not... The new characters were a delight; some were endearing well others gave off a rather sinister vibe.

There is only one complaint I had with EVERWILD: it had to end. I was so enthralled with everything that was happening that I was devastated when it ended. On a very cliffhanger-ish scene. But at the same time that's wonderful because it means that there is going to be more to this wonder-filled series!

A definite favourite for me and a book I'm going to recommend to everyone I know!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everwild.