Cathy 's Reviews > Wicked Lovely

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Nov 14, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: ebook-read, elves-fae, young-adult, read-in-2009, ebook-library-available, ebook-owned

Beautiful. Interestingly dark for a book about light fairies. Some interesting shades of gray that I enjoyed, can't have light without shadows. A little bit haunting even. With a very abrupt and startling resolution that didn't suit the rest of the often-lovely (no pun intended, it's the appropriate word) story.

And young adult book that doesn't quite hit fabulous for this reader who is more than 2x the intended audience age, but I can easily see why it has so many passionate fans. Some aspects are complex and unpredictable, nicely so. Others, such as the much, much too perfect Seth, are a let-down for older readers that perhaps younger readers won't mind as much. (He is seriously great, but no young man always knows the right thing to say or not say or deals with that much stuff while keeping his cool.)

Also, as an older(ish!) reader I can't help cringing at reference to teen drinking, drugs and sex where they're totally accepted in the story. I know it's reality, and was 20 years ago too, but I don't think it was so accepted that it was commonly written about in teen fiction 20 years ago. Judy Bloom's Forever was still a big scandal when I was in Jr. High, or at least we thought it was and I'm sure my mom would have agreed, even if I did swipe Wifey off of her shelf at the same age. Plus it always makes me cringe extra when adults are the ones telling about the teen sex, drugs and drinking, not that I expect teens to be published authors or tv/movie writers, or expect many of them to appreciate sanitized stories. I'd have liked this story as an older teen and been fine with it. But I'd say that these books are not really for young teens and probably shouldn't be given for gifts without parental approval, just in case. There is nothing explicit at all, but the casualness is there and I know some parents who wouldn't be happy about their kids reading it without their prior knowledge.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wicked Lovely.

November 14, 2009 – Shelved
November 14, 2009 –
page 67
20.43% "Always have mixed feelings when adults write teens where having sex, drinking & drugs is common. Reality, but a good idea?"
November 14, 2009 –
page 10
3.05% "Aislinn is pronounced Ashling. Irish names are confusing, takes my mind a long time to catch up with my eyes."
page 258
78.66% "Seth is too perfect." (Paperback Edition)
November 16, 2009 – Shelved as: ebook-read
November 16, 2009 – Shelved as: elves-fae
November 16, 2009 – Shelved as: young-adult
page 258
78.66% "Seth is too perfect."
page 336
100% "Holy sudden resolution, Batman! Lots of teen angst cut short."
Started Reading
November 19, 2009 – Finished Reading
December 16, 2009 – Shelved as: read-in-2009
December 27, 2009 – Shelved as: ebook-library-available
February 19, 2010 – Shelved as: ebook-owned
March 20, 2011 – Started Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)
March 20, 2011 – Shelved (Other Hardcover Edition)
March 20, 2011 –
page 335
100% "Reading the extra short story in the special 99¢ edition from B&N, called Cotton Candy Skies. And trying to remember the 4th book before I start the 5th. I remember that it's about Ani and Devlin, but that's about it." (Other Hardcover Edition)
March 20, 2011 – Finished Reading (Other Hardcover Edition)