Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction}'s Reviews > Scarlet

Scarlet by Marissa Meyer

Nov 30, 2013

bookshelves: addedcoverlust, favorites
Recommended to Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction} by: Kristalia ♥Dex's,Hugh's & Matt's Lady♥(◕‿◕✿)

4.5 "my-heart-is-pulsating-erratically" stars!

The fates of Cinder and Scarlet collide as a Lunar threat spreads across the Earth...

Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world(PAREE!!), Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life.

When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.

Meanwhile, Princess Selene -- Cinder -- has her own problems. Because escaping is the easy part. Staying escaped ... not so much. Cinder must be found in three days or there'll be hell to pay.

SCARLET is a rare sequel that improves upon the first. Especially with the introduction of characters Scarlet and Wolf and a whole new fairy tale to jauntily reference. Emperor Kai is stuck in the palace, harassed by the Lunar Queen, so the Cinder love story fizzles. Poor Kai ... and poor Cinder, stuck on a ship with a conceited "captain" -- though it's quite fun to watch Thorne and Cinder butt heads.

Scarlet and Wolf pick up the winning sparkly-fairy-tale-romance angle nicely, and without a dull moment in their relationship. Author Marissa Meyer really ups the action this time, making Book 2 hard to put down, especially when Scarlet and Wolf get to Paris and all the "wolves" get restless.

Various kinds of loyalty and duty are tested: to the order of a pack, to one's country, to family, and to loved ones. The book also shows how wielding a great power over others can make some evil and some reluctant to use it.

This sci-fi sequel to Cinder adds another tough teen girl character to the mix -- Scarlet -- as well as a bit more nail-biting action-violence.Now there's not one but two teen girls taking on the world (well, two worlds, Earth and Luna). She and Cinder face their share of scary futuristic foes. And what else's new? Queen Levana's POV. Oh yeah.

The next restless girl problem: Read a book in one day. Wait an year for the sequel. Ugh. Sux.

And a last word:Beware the Wolf.
(view spoiler)

;)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Scarlet.

Quotes Bipasha{is eviscerated by fiction} Liked

Marissa Meyer
“I knew they would kill me when they found out, but…” He struggled for words, releasing a sharp breath. “I think I realized that I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you.”

Marissa Meyer
“A relieved grin filled up Thorne’s face. “We’re having another moment, aren’t we?”

“If by a moment, you mean me not wanting to strangle you for the first time since we met, then I guess we are.”

Marissa Meyer
“She did not know that the wolf was a wicked sort of animal, and she was not afraid of him.”

Marissa Meyer
“Scarlet and Wolf are saying gushy things in the galley," Iko said. "Normally I like gushy things, but its different when its real people. I prefer the net dramas.”

Marissa Meyer
“If you were a gentleman, you would offer to buy me one as well."
"If you were a lady, you would have waited for me to make the offer.”

Marissa Meyer
“I would rather die because I betrayed them, than live because I betrayed you”

November 30, 2013 – Shelved
November 30, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 4, 2013 – Started Reading
December 4, 2013 –
0.0% ""He popped back into the restaurant, leaving the door open. The noise of dishes and laughter spilled out into the alley, bizarre in its normality.\n Scarlet's world came crashing down around her and nobody noticed.\n Her grandmother was missing and nobody cared."\n Well, newsflash, Scar:\n The world doesn't revolve around you.\n \n \n IDK, but based on my past experience of Cinder, I'm getting really bad sicko vibes..."
Finished Reading