Laura Greenwood's Reviews > Eyrie

Eyrie by Emma Michaels

19290780

Review forthcoming on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

I received a copy of Eyrie in exchange for my review as a part of this blog tour.

Iris is an Owlet, and a powerful one at that. But she thinks different from the others of her kind, believing that all of them are born equal. In Iris' world each of her kind has two halves to their soul, an Aves and a human half, and depending which Aves a person has, they have different abilities. No one knows who Iris is yet, or that she even does, yet for her to be able to change the future of her kind they need to, and she needs to gain the power that is her birth right.

Firstly I would just like to point out just how beautiful that cover is! It is absolutely stunning! I would also like to point out that this is book 2 of the Society of Feathers series (which I hadn't realised when I signed up). Having not read the first book I would say that this book can be read as a stand alone, I didn't feel in the dark about anything or that I was missing out. But saying that I believe that at some point I will read the first book because this one really drew me in and I think that I would enjoy it!

The mythology behind the half-aves, half-humans was interesting and complex, with a whole culture created around it, including a slightly new take on what happens on the Isle of Wight (somewhere I have never actually been!)

As a main character I liked Iris, she had flaws, some of which, like her asthma, could prove to be fatal to her, and yet she is still determined to make a difference in the world. There does seem to be a great deal of conviction behind the character and I am hoping that that means that the third book will focus on her political power (because she has no physical power) which is something that always tends to interest me in books. The one thing that I did find slightly frustrating about Iris was that at times she seemed to be super dependent on Falcon.

I really enjoyed Eyrie, it was different from anything else that I have read and I am looking forward to finding out more about the universe!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eyrie.

Started Reading