Victoria Zagar's Reviews > Rainbow Briefs

Rainbow Briefs by Kira Harp

These fifteen stories were inspired by images from the Young Adult LGBT Books Group. In these pages you'll find LGBTQ teenagers living their lives - experiencing first encounters and long relationships, coming out, staying closeted, questioning, loving, having adventures, dealing with family, with prejudice, with magic.

Rainbow Briefs was hands-down my favorite anthology read of 2013. The quality and variety of these shorts is amazing considering this book is free. I especially liked that this anthology was LGBTQ, with a nice mixture of lesbian, gay and trans stories to satisfy almost everyone.

Despite being YA, these stories don't speak down to their audience. I could relate to a lot of what was written from my own teenage years and it's rare I find that level of authenticity in any story. Kira Harp is certainly a master at speaking to a young adult audience and I would absolutely recommend this to any teenager struggling with their sexual orientation or gender identity. I also recommend it for adults as well - these stories transcend the label of YA and are something everyone can read and enjoy.

I would have rated almost all of the stories four or five stars, but Designing Sam was easily my favorite. I haven't been moved to tears at a book for a long time, but this honest depiction of a trans teenager struggling with family and identity in a realistic manner really moved me. In a genre where sometimes we are so eager to get our HEA that we make families overwhelmingly accepting, it was good to see a parent in denial and a situation that wasn't wrapped up neatly with a bow on top. It's a stark reminder that we have a lot of work to do as a community to increase acceptance and awareness of LGBTQ issues.

I think you should go and download this book right now. I think you should spend a couple of hours pouring over these stories, reading even the ones that fall outside of your typical reading diet. Then pass it on to a young person you know who needs to understand that they are not alone in the world. These positive yet realistic stories could literally change a life.

This review was cross-posted to Infinite Love.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rainbow Briefs.

November 30, 2013 – Started Reading