Cait Jacobs (Caitsbooks)'s Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

bookshelves: cute-romance, favorites, reviewed, retellings, reviewed-for-blog
Recommended for: scifi fans, fairy tale lovers

Since this is book 1 in a series, I'm going to be reviewing the entire series here, but don't worry, there will be no spoilers!
To see the review on my blog, click here!
I was late to the party when it came to The Lunar Chronicles. I only read it June 2017, after all the books had been released. Nevertheless, it’s now one of my absolute favorite series of all time.
The Lunar Chronicles is amazing. Plain and simple. It’s an epic science fiction series, with each book inspired by a different fairy tale, and following two different protagonists, only to completely come together by book four, Winter. This book is perfect for fans of sci-fi, fairy tales, or action and adventure.
The series has a well-written plot, following different characters from different parts of this futuristic world. All the stories weave together beautifully, continuing the plot while exploring the extremely thought out world. Cinder is a cyborg, part human part machine, in a society that treats cyborgs as lesser, and uses them for experimentation to find the cure for a ravaging plague. Clearly, her story is a Cinderella story, as she finds herself falling for Prince Kai, but she also must uncover the secrets of her past and the truth of who she is, in order to save Kai and her people from the evil Queen Levana of Luna.
Each character in this series is distinct and memorable. Cinder, Kai, Scarlet, Wolf, Cress, Thorne, Winter, Jacin, and even Queen Levana, are all complex and fascinating characters to read about. Although it may seem like a lot of characters to remember and pick apart, Meyer handles them so well that it’s hard not to get lost in each character’s arc and growth while following the plot. I always love a good villain, and Levana is definitely that, while all of our protagonists are actually fun to read about while not all being perfect or clones of each other. I also loved how it wasn’t always about the individual romantic relationships, but also about the great friendships they build. And even the romantic relationships were handled really well, no cases of insta-love in this book!
Finally, there’s the setting of this series. The Lunar Chronicles is told mostly on a futuristic Earth, but also partly on the Lunar colony of Luna, which has become its own nation. There is a rich history that led up to the time of Cinder, and its actually explained well and not in boring exposition-dumps. I also loved the magic involved in this series. Most of the lunar people have magical abilities where they can control others and create glamours. It made great tension when you never know what Levana might make one of the heroes do.

Pros - Epic futuristic setting, well-built world and history, interesting and unique characters
Cons - Scarlet (book 2) kinda felt slow at some points for me, but otherwise, this series is perfection.
Overall - 5/5 Stars. Just perfect.
Overall, the Lunar Chronicles is a fantastic series for any YA fan to read. I absolutely adored every sentence of these books.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

November 30, 2013 – Shelved