Jonel Boyko's Reviews > Love, Lies & the D.A.

Love, Lies & the D.A. by Rebecca Rohman

Nov 30, 2013

I was excited alongside the characters right from the beginning. I thoroughly enjoyed the multiple perspectives shown throughout this novel. The story flips back and forth without the character headings that tend to break the story’s forward flow, yet at the same time everything is quite clear and enticing. The main character was so easy to identify with emotionally that it made the story very approachable. This is one of those books that you can picture living through. It’s emotionally raw and vividly real. I felt like I was watching a drama unfold rather than simply reading a novel.

The female lead in this novel is so interesting. I love that she’s self-made rather than from old money. It shines through everything that she does. It’s really nice to see a character who cares about more than just herself or her relationship. Not only that, but she is also so real. I appreciate how strong she is, yet still able to depend on others and ask them for help. It’s the best of both worlds. Because of the shifting perspectives and the fact that the story is written in the 1st person, present tense you really get a feel for who she is and how she appears to others. This story is so personal. The monologues from each character give you an in-depth look, understanding, and feel for who they are. I really love the random thoughts that flit through; it makes everyone seem so real. Even though these individuals are about as dissimilar from me as they come I could still feel for and identify with them.

The fact that Rohman writes this story in the 1st person, present solidifies the urgency present throughout the story. This story had my heart tied in knots and my mind racing a million miles an hour. Rohman has taken the romantic suspense genre and given it a bit of a twist to produce something eloquent and unforgettable. This isn’t a quick, flippant romance novel. It’s about real life and unimaginable, yet real, situations and was intensely thought provoking. Rohman’s well written, flowing descriptions illuminate the entire story. Even her romantic and erotic scenes are written in a very unique manner. They aren’t just fluff or page filler.

This novel was a rollercoaster that took me through a gamut of emotions. It had me on edge, made me laugh, brought tears to my eyes, and made me want to live a little. I didn’t read it all in 1 sitting, there just aren’t enough hours in a day, but I definitely couldn’t stop thinking about it and was dying to get back to it. It was a trip that I’d definitely recommend, and read again.

Please note that I received this novel free of charge from the author in exchange for an honest review.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Love, Lies & the D.A..

November 30, 2013 – Started Reading
November 30, 2013 – Shelved
November 30, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
November 30, 2013 – Finished Reading

Rebecca Rohman Hello Jonel,

Thank you for taking the time to review my book and thank you for posting such a thorough, detailed and well written review of my book. I appreciate you taking the time to share your thoughts and just wanted to take a moment to say THANK YOU.

I wish you all the best.

Warm regards,