D.M. Dutcher 's Reviews > Offworld

Offworld by Robin Parrish

5208457

it was ok
bookshelves: science-fiction, christian

A team of Mars Astronauts comes back to a world empty of everyone but themselves. They have to find out what caused it before both visions of the past and a mysterious void claims them all.

Unfortunately while it starts strong, the ending is too implausible to be believed. There's too much cat-and-mouse, and not enough explanation or even intelligent behavior for the book to be anything more than a written version of a Hollywood blockbuster. Despite this it isn't a bad read, but not more than an okay one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Offworld.

Started Reading
November 30, 2013 – Shelved
November 30, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
November 30, 2013 – Shelved as: science-fiction
November 30, 2013 – Shelved as: christian
November 30, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)

Lyndon I remember reading this and thinking along the same lines. I like Parrish's style (his hero genre books are nice and pulpy) but the storylines themselves are just okay. But maybe I was too critical in the past - now that I'm writing more myself, I realize it's more difficult than it looks! lol

D.M. Dutcher Lyndon wrote: "I remember reading this and thinking along the same lines. I like Parrish's style (his hero genre books are nice and pulpy) but the storylines themselves are just okay. But maybe I was too critical..."

Oh, I liked Relentless and don't mind that, but this one had such a flimsy reveal that it beggared belief. I'll put it under spoiler tags if you don't want to see it:

(view spoiler)

It's worse than it sounds, because it's sprung on us late in the book, and its obvious he uses quantum physics as magic. He could have just made it Pandora's Box and it would have been ten times a stronger premise.

Everyone has a bad book in them though, so I can't sweat it.