Min's Reviews > Olive Kitteridge

Olive Kitteridge by Elizabeth Strout

Nov 13, 2009

liked it

For such a short book, it took me a lot longer to get through it than I would have liked. That being said, it was actually a really enjoyable read. I wanted to know more about the protagonist, even though there wasn't much that was likeable about her - she was off-putting, unemotional, and humourless.

Each chapter in this book was its own story and could ALMOST be read independent of the other chapters (a few exceptions being made for continuity purposes). The one thing that EVERY chapter had in common was the presence of Olive Kitteridge. Sometimes Olive was the main character of the chapter, and sometimes she played only a bit part in the story - literally, she would appear in two or two lines of the chapter.

The book is set entirely in Maine, and one of things that I enjoyed about it is that the author does an incredible job of conveying the stillness of the area and the quietness of the people.

And my close friends will also recognise glimpses of my mother in Olive, which is probably part of why I struggled (at times) to get through the book in a timely manner.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Olive Kitteridge.

November 13, 2009 – Shelved