Michelle Pickett's Reviews > At Any Price

At Any Price by Brenna Aubrey

Some weeks ago I reviewed a book about a young woman who auctioned off her virginity. It was a very good book and I gave it a high review. I’m not going to name it here, but you can look back at my past reviews to find it if you’re interested. So, when I picked up “At Any Price” which is about a 22 year-old woman who auctions off her virginity, I thought I was going to get a story similar to the first book I read…you know how trends start. One person writes a vampire book and then everyone writes a vampire book. So I thought I was getting a knock-off of the first “selling my v-card” book I read.

SO WRONG!

Yes, both young women auction off their v-card. But that’s where the similarities end. “At Any Price” is its own story and, wow, was it a good one. I was hooked. I loved the characters, I loved the storyline, and I loved the book.

My only complaint is that in parts of the story things were a little predictable. I won’t go into what I found predictable; you know I don’t tell what the story is about in my reviews. But the predictability wasn’t enough to take away from the enjoyment of the book.

Okay, the characters. I loved Mia. She’s strong-willed and driven. But she has hang-ups and is far from perfect. She relatable, real. Even though there were times I wanted to hit her upside the head, I loved her. She wants to be in control of everything in life, but learns we rarely control life. Her past haunts her and her present presses down on her—her decision to auction her virginity isn’t made lightly and she struggles with her reasoning. I liked that part of her character.

Adam. Hmm, yeah, he was the kind of character you fall in love with. The book boyfriend. Like Mia, he’s real, relatable and totally hawt. But, like most, he has hang-ups. I loved his character, but there were a lot of times I wanted to grab him by the shoulders and shake some sense into the boy and other times I wanted to grab him and kiss him senseless. Yeah, he was that hot. But the thing about Adam that really got my gears rolling was that he was a good guy. He isn’t a bad boy that turns into perfect boyfriend material. He’s just a good guy trying to make sense of life. He has demons chasing him—don’t we all? But I liked that he was a good guy and that Ms. Aubrey didn’t write him as the typical “bad boy.”

The story was original. The plot was well thought out and everything tied up well at the end. I was satisfied when I read the last page of the book so I was surprised to find that it’s a trilogy. I thought “At Any Price” ended at a good place in Mia and Adam’s story, leading me to think it was a standalone. But although I was satisfied with the ending, and don’t really feel there is a need for additional books, I will definitely sign up to read the sequels.

Bottom line: It’s hot, sexy, and an incredible story about giving up control to grab on to love.
5 Stars…definitely worth the time to read…be warned: once you pick it up you won’t want to put it down until you reach the last page. So clear your schedule!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read At Any Price.

Finished Reading
November 29, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)

Wendy'sThoughts Love this review... conversational and broke it down.. could feel how much you sincerely liked the book... cool :D

Michelle Pickett Wm AddictedReader&LovingTeamO wrote: "Love this review... conversational and broke it down.. could feel how much you sincerely liked the book... cool :D"

Thank you! I'm so glad I was able to word it in a way that both puts the book in a good light and shows how much I really enjoyed it. It's definitely one to read. I will be reading Ms. Abrey's work in the future.

*Marsha,Marsha,Marsha* It's always Marsha Great review! Makes me want to give it a try!!

Michelle Pickett *Marsha,Marsha,Marsha* It's always Marsha wrote: "Great review! Makes me want to give it a try!!"

Definitely! It's a wonderful love story and the author is the sweetest person!

message 5: by Ada (new) - added it

Ada Had a lot of 50 shades of grey in it. Would have loved more originality as it was very predictable. Enjoyable if you've never read 50 shades of grey