Andy's Reviews > Endangered Creatures

Endangered Creatures by Stephen Dunkley

bookshelves: reviews

It's a bit easy to go overboard with first time authors and comparisons. It'd be very easy to say that Endangered Creatures is a very accomplished debut novel that sits somewhere between Terry Pratchett and Tom Holt in tone, and owes a heavy debt to Douglas Adams' particular brand of humorous observations.

But easy comparisons are boring.

Endangered Creatures is a very accomplished debut novel. It's funny, well plotted, and packed with a well-rounded (if not always overly deep) menagerie of characters, and rattles along nicely without ever overstaying its welcome.

There are some minor issues - some of the main cast are never really fleshed out, and one or two jokes fall a bit flat, but these flaws are comfortably outweighed by the charm and humour displayed throughout.

Some attempts at humour - especially ones that poke fun at religion - can come across as snide, smug and superior, but not in this case. Endangered Creatures doesn't sneer. It sidles up to you, throws a welcoming arm around your shoulder and says "you'll never believe what I've just seen."

Highly recommended, and I'm already looking forward to the follow-up.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Endangered Creatures.

Quotes Andy Liked

Stephen Dunkley
“I'm sorry, but dragons don't come in pink.”
Stephen Dunkley, Endangered Creatures

November 29, 2013 – Shelved
November 29, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
December 4, 2013 – Started Reading
December 4, 2013 –
page 39
18.75% "Already laughed out loud a few times, which is very unusual for me. Some Adams-esque prose too."
December 5, 2013 –
page 95
December 5, 2013 –
page 145
69.71% "Definitely one of the funniest books I've read in a while. Highly recommended so far."
December 6, 2013 –
page 172
December 6, 2013 – Shelved as: reviews
December 6, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Stephen (new) - added it

Stephen Dunkley I'm glad you're enjoying it!