Nandakishore Varma's Reviews > Bring Up the Bodies

Bring Up the Bodies by Hilary Mantel

Hilary Mantel’s Booker-winning Wolf Hall, though fascinating, was a chore to get through – so it was with some misgivings that I picked up this book, the sequel; I was resigned to getting bored, but too entranced with Tudor England and Henry VIII’s court to leave the story. However, I was pleasantly surprised… no, that’s too mild a term, I was floored! Bring up the Bodies is one humdinger of a read. While Wolf Hall was ponderous, the sequel is breezy, without losing any of the beauty of the language. In cricketing parlance, Ms. Mantel is like a test batsman who, having negotiated a treacherous pitch, has got her eye in and is stroking beautifully.

Read the full review on my BLOG .

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bring Up the Bodies.

November 28, 2013 – Started Reading
page 306
December 8, 2013 –
page 355
December 9, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Melki (new)

Melki Cool! Think I'll pick this one up at the library tomorrow.

message 2: by Margitte (new)

Margitte I read the review on your blog. Well done! To be honest, it is not something I have pondered for indulgence, but still have 'The Origins of the Species' stacked ( a bit low in the order of things)for reading. Yes, I know, it is a shame. I was wondering when the theory will ever become fact.

Your review is brilliant.

Nandakishore Varma Margitte wrote: "I read the review on your blog. Well done! To be honest, it is not something I have pondered for indulgence, but still have 'The Origins of the Species' stacked ( a bit low in the order of things)f..."

Thanks for visiting my blog! I am shamelessly trying to attract people over there.

BTW, I think you are talking about my review of "The Selfish Gene" here.

message 4: by Margitte (new)

Margitte Nandakishore wrote: "BTW, I think you are talking about my review of "The Selfish Gene" here. ..."
Eoooowwwwwww! Thanks for pointing it out to me. Wrong comment for this book of yours. Sorry about that!

Yes, I loved your review of "The Selfish Gene", but I still need to red 'The Origins of the Species' before I can decided if I want to read more about it. Somehow theory is just theory and there are way too many for my liking - to be really honest. But I need to first start to read the book tht changed so much perceptions in the world, before I can take Richard Dawkins on

message 5: by Gen (new) - added it

Gen Okay, I'll give it a shot. Wolf Hall was tedious to get through for me...helpful review!

Nandakishore Varma Gen wrote: "Okay, I'll give it a shot. Wolf Hall was tedious to get through for me...helpful review!"

Thank you.