Claire's Reviews > Your Money or Your Life

Your Money or Your Life by Vicki Robin

Apr 18, 2007

Recommended for: Those struggling to find work that doesn't make them miserable

YMYL was recommended to me by a friend, who gave up her stable teaching position to run a used bookstore after reading this book. This was my first foray into the self-help genre. The prose is laughably hokey at the most inopportune times, but the message is worth slogging through the mantras and the affirmations. Plus, the "nine-step program" actually works, if you're willing to commit to it. I started out, skeptical, with a step I thought I could stick to—keeping track of my spending, and became curious about the rest of my financial health from there. By the time, a year-and-a-half later, I faced the last maudlin step (calculating how much time you have left in your life), I found it so thoroughly shocking (in my case, less than half a million hours based on average life expectancy) that I realized staying in a job that made me miserable wasn't worth it, so I quit. I guess, in that sense, this book delivers on its hokey promise to change your life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Your Money or Your Life.

Started Reading