Laura Greenwood's Reviews > Seducing Anne

Seducing Anne by Chanse Lowell

19290780

bookshelves: 1-blog-tours, november-2013, 2013

Review forthcoming on http://a-reader-lives-a-thousand-live...

I received a copy of Seducing Anne in exchange for my honest review as a part of this blog tour.

Guy is a SHORAG agent, his job is to travel in time to ensure that certain women get pregnant with certain children. Just having arrived back from a previous assignment, Guy is called in to re-do a job that someone else has botched. To do so he is required to travel back in time to seduce Anne Boleyn and get her pregnant with Elizabeth I. What Guy doesn't count on is the level of attraction and emotion that he would feel for Anne, and that he may not ever want to leave her and their daughter to their fates.

So you think you know the story of Anne Boleyn do you? Well think again! Lowell has completely recreated (yet again) the character of arguably one of the most important women to English history (after all without Anne Boleyn there would have been no Elizabeth I and our country would probably still be fundamentally Catholic, whether that change is for better or for worse is a matter of opinion but it surely wouldn't be the England that we know today.)

Too often Anne is portrayed as, excuse my French, a bit of a chienne (those of you who can speak French will know that that is the translation of an English word rhyming with witch), and to be honest I think that that has got a bit old. But saying that, a pathetic Anne in need of saving doesn't seem right either. What Lowell has provided readers with is somewhere in the middle; feisty and independent but with a sensitive and caring side, and it is that balance that makes this Anne one of the most endearing.

I was a little skeptical at first about reading Seducing Anne because I love Tudor history and this shook up every convention (take not if you like you history historic!) the Tudor time period itself was richly drawn but I didn't feel that this was a historical romance, mainly because of the latter portion of the book, and instead would fit it much more neatly into the sci-fi realm. Though it is still romance.

Being romance, reading this book, there are scenes of a sexual nature throughout, though they are part of the story line and there is an equal focus on the romance that grows between Anne and Guy.

The one 'issue' I had was that it simply seemed too easy for Guy and Anne to defy Henry, it really didn't seem to take much doing. But saying that, I did think that the author managed to portray Henry's bad side in a way which was realistic and meant that it was easy to be sympathetic towards Anne.

I enjoyed this read, though I enjoyed it as sci-fi rather than historical fiction!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Seducing Anne.

Started Reading