Emma 's Reviews > The Visitors

The Visitors by Rebecca Mascull

bookshelves: guest-reviews

Review by Beth

I didn’t know what to expect when I picked up The Visitors. It sounded more ominous than it actually was but I was soon sucked into Liza’s world and it was enchanting, surprisingly eye-opening and a wonderful piece of historical fiction.

Growing up with Liza is a fantastic experience. We feel her living in a world of darkness where she can only finger spell to talk and then she’s suddenly able to enjoy a more normal life as her eyesight is returned to her.

Having her eyesight back gives Liza the chance to grow into a young woman just like any other. Of course she still remains deaf but her closest friends and family can sign and with her companion, Lottie, always by her side, she’s always got someone to translate. As she grows she learns to lip read and her life changes even further.

As she grows she’s able to spread her wings and joins her friend Lottie on a visit to South Africa in search of her brother after the Boer War.

Throughout the novel Liza’s ‘normal’ story is pitted with The Visitors who come to her, tell her things and even frighten her. The Visitors never go away and as she grows she learns new ways of dealing with them and even helping them.

The Visitors is beautiful tale of how friendship can transform your life completely. Without Lottie, Liza wouldn’t have had a story and it’s fascinating how, as the pages turn, they support each other and Liza too is able to help Lottie. It’s also got a touch of romance and a great adventure over to South Africa, although throughout there is the tinge of sadness added by the presence of The Visitors.

I could tell you what they were but that’d spoil the story and it’s one that everyone should try and read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Visitors.

November 28, 2013 – Shelved as: guest-reviews