Carin's Reviews > Ballet Shoes

Ballet Shoes by Noel Streatfeild

Nov 12, 2009

bookshelves: childrens, british, women-authors
Read in January, 1984

I recently re-read this and it was just as fantastic as I remembered, although sadly it did not make me 12 again. When I read this I was very much in the thick of weekly ballet classes which I took for 12+ years, although never under the delusion that I had anything resembling talent. Of course this book is perfect for those girls who do want to be a ballerina or an actress. But I also love how Petrova becomes neither, but instead loves cars and wants to be a pilot - and that's perfectly okay. What makes this book very petinent now is how it takes place during the depression, these girls can start working at age 12, their guardian has to not only take in boarders, but these girls have to start working at 12 and they contribute to the household funds. They have to pawn their jewelry, and eventually their guardian has to sell their house. These lessons on living through a bad economy with everyone pitching in, and how sometimes no knight in shining armor rides in to save the house before it's sold, are good lessons to learn.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ballet Shoes.