Geetha's Reviews > Water for Elephants

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

Nov 12, 2009

Read in November, 2009

Water for Elephants is an excellent read. I have never before read a book where a travelling Circus was the setting so this was in itself new. Sara Gruen tells a wonderful story, keeping the plot moving, keeping the reader interested in what will come next. There is no point in the book when it drags.
There are several interesting characters in the book, good people and bad, as well as some loveable animal characters. You see all sides of human character in the book – loyalty, sacrifice, friendship as well as cruelty, unbridled anger, and unethical business practices due to greed.
The book makes you think about the ethics of the concept of a circus, the treatment of animals in a travelling circus, and the fairness of using handicapped people like dwarfs, over-weight people as “attractions”. Another dominant theme of the book is aging and the treatment of seniors in our society.
The style in which the story is told is also interesting as it goes back and forth between the present and the past.
I enjoyed the photographs from circuses at the start of each chapter. I highly recommend this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Water for Elephants.