Zeenat's Reviews > Black Arts

Black Arts by Faith Hunter

Nov 27, 2013

bookshelves: favorites
Read 2 times. Last read June 19, 2018.

Summary: Evan Trueblood comes knocking on Jane's door, asking for his wife. The problem, Molly Trueblood isn't there. Why would she? Jane and her haven't talked since Jane killed her sister. But that isn't Jane's only problem. Two of Katie's girls have disappeared. And Leo says what? to Jane? Jane would love a chance to breath, but her life never slows down...

Review: I had a fantastic review all written out for this book, and I lost it because I forgot to save it. So, here I am, trying to rewrite reclaim an amazing review. But even my awesome review came nowhere close to the awesomeness of Black Arts.

Faith Hunter is one of the most talented fantasy writers. She not only wove a clever plot, but also portrayed her characters truly. It speaks to an author's skills when their novel had a reader hooked from the first sentence all the way to the last. Literally. Honestly, I found no holes in this book. Her writing is that tight, her pacing that phenomenal.

Many times author's screw up a "character growth" book by slowing it down so much that a reader finds it a filler. Not so in Black Arts. Jane grows incredibly in this installment, but it's done through action sequences, Beast's eyes and Jane's memories. Jane finally resolves many of her issues, especially coming to terms with her violent tendencies. I felt Jane growing, down to my soul, almost as if I felt it unfold within my own beast. (On a side note--Hollywood should make these books into a movie, as long as they don't ruin it.)

Jane's relationships also get some resolution in this novel, and I don't mean just the romantic ones. We finally say good bye to one love interest, and see room for someone to slide into his place. Molly and Jane reconnect (unusually), but she also reconnects with her other female friends, like Jodi and Del. Most of all, I found her relationship with Leo change in many ways. There was a moment where I was taken back by the fact that he said TWO very specific things. WOW. When you read it, you will know what I am talking about. The great thing, again to Hunter's credit, is that those were spoken within Leo's character.

I just can't sing enough praises for this book. I have much more to say, but I don't want to spoil it. I believe it's my new favorite Jane book. I can't wait to read the next installment!

Sex: Kissing, references to sex.
Violence: as graphic as a typical Jane Yellowrock book gets, which is VERY graphic.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Series Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars

Quote:
“Are you insane?” he shouted back.
“Probably, but insanity’s not the point."

Next Book: Broken Soul, I believe it will be out November 2014.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Arts.

November 27, 2013 – Shelved
November 27, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
January 7, 2014 – Started Reading
January 7, 2014 –
17.0% "Leo said WHAT?!?!?!"
January 7, 2014 –
18.0% "and he asked for what?!?!?!?! seriously... what have you done with our Leo? ;)"
January 7, 2014 –
64.0% "I hope that is the end of that. bye bye Ricky..."
January 7, 2014 – Shelved as: favorites