Emily's Reviews > Feeling Sorry for Celia

Feeling Sorry for Celia by Jaclyn Moriarty

Nov 11, 2009

bookshelves: school, humor, romance, series
Read in October, 2012

The thing I love most about this book is that I found it in my high school library. There have been few instances where I have read something for school or in school that I've actually enjoyed. This was one of those few books. I actually did a project on it and got an excellent grade.

It's been a while since I read this, but I remember I really liked it. The main character has an eccentric best friend who runs away to join the circus. I remember she started getting notes from a secret admirer as well. I wish I remembered more about this book, but one thing I remember clearly was that I enjoyed it.

ETA post second read-through: Very clever and witty. Shows personal growth and the changes of relationships teenagers endure in a unique way. Well, Moriarty really just illustrates different relationships in general in a unique way. A mom who may not always be home and cooking dinner for her child can still be a pillar of support. Best friends we've known our whole lives can turn out to be not the best type of friend after all. Fathers related to us by blood aren't always the fathers we need them to be. Friendships can be forged in unexpected ways, like through class assignments we were against from the go. And you never know who might be admiring you from afar.

All of these different relationships are shown to readers through only memos, pen pal letters, anonymous notes, and postcards. Also, the protagonist receives "letters" from imaginary organizations. These I feel are meant to sort of replace a diary entry or internal monologue in order to keep with the theme of the book, the letters and whatnot. The letters from imaginary organizations really give us a look at how critical we can be of ourselves, comparing our behavior and lifestyle to what we feel society expects of us. The whole book is a really in-depth look at adolescence and how we are forced to grow up even if we aren't prepared. Very thought-provoking, but in a subtle way. It's so enjoyable, reading about Elizabeth's life, that you don't even realize you're experiencing a teenager dealing with some very adult problems.

A great book for reluctant readers. As I said, I checked this out from my high school library originally when required to do a book report. I never checked books out from school and hardly ever read anything for school I ended up enjoying. But Feeling Sorry For Celia stood out to me as one of those very few books I discovered through school and will enjoy even after the fact.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Feeling Sorry for Celia.