K's Reviews > The Raven

The Raven by Sylvain Reynard

bookshelves: to-read

UPDATE as of 1/7/14: My next novel is the first in a new series, and it will be entitled The Raven. With this novel, I'm asking you to pack your bags and travel with me to the city of Florence. The Gabriel Series showed you the city during the day. This time, I'll show you Florence's underworld, which is ruled by creatures of the night …

Here's the formal announcement:

From the New York Times bestselling author of the Gabriel Series comes a dark, sensual tale of romance in a city shrouded in mystery…

Raven Wood spends her days at Florence’s Uffizi Gallery restoring fine works of Renaissance art. But an innocent walk home after an evening with friends changes her life forever. When she intervenes in the senseless beating of a homeless man, his attackers turn on her, dragging her into an alley. Raven is only semi-conscious when their assault is interrupted by a cacophony of growls followed by her attacker’s screams. Mercifully, she blacks out, but not before catching a glimpse of a shadowy figure who whispers to her …

Cassita vulneratus.

When Raven awakes, she is inexplicably changed. She returns to the Uffizi, but no one recognizes her and more disturbingly, she discovers that she’s been absent an entire week. With no recollection of the events leading up to her disappearance, Raven also learns that her absence coincides with one of the largest robberies in Uffizi history – the theft of a set of priceless Botticelli illustrations. When the baffled police force identifies her as its prime suspect, Raven is desperate to clear her name. She seeks out one of Florence’s wealthiest and elusive men in an attempt to uncover the truth about her disappearance. Their encounter leads Raven to a dark underworld whose inhabitants kill to keep their secrets …

UPDATE As of 12/03/13: The first chapter of The Raven has been released, here it is! So freaking excited ♥

A lone figure stood high atop Brunelleschi’s dome, under the shade of the gold globe and cross. His black clothing faded into the darkness, making him invisible to the people below. From his vantage point, they looked like ants. And ants they were to him, an irritating if necessary presence in his city. The city of Florence had been his for almost seven hundred years. When he was in residence, he spent every sunset in the same place, surveying his kingdom with Lucifer-like pride. These were the works of his hands, the fruits of his labor, and he wielded his power without mercy. His considerable strength was magnified by his intellect and his patience. Decades and centuries passed before his eyes, yet he remained constant. Time was a luxury he owned in abundance and so he was never hasty in his pursuit of revenge. A hundred years had come and gone since he’d been robbed of one of his most prized possessions. He’d waited for them to resurface and they had. On this night, he’d restored the illustrations to his personal collection, the sophisticated security of the Uffizi Gallery causing him only the most trifling of inconveniences. So it was that he stood in triumph against the clouded dark sky, like a Medici prince, looking out over Florence. The night air was warm as he contemplated the fate of those responsible for the exhibit of his stolen illustrations. He hadn’t quite decided whether to kill the men, or merely torture them. He had time and time enough to make his plans and so he stood, enjoying his success, as a warm, persistent rain began to fall. The ants below scattered, scurrying for shelter. Soon the streets were empty of human beings. He clutched the case more closely under his arm, realizing that his illustrations were in need of a dry space. In the blink of an eye, he traveled down the side of the dome to a lower half dome, before running across the square and clambering up the side of an adjacent building. Soon he was on the roof of the Arciconfraternita della Misericordia. There was a time when he would have served the Arciconfraternita, joining in their mission of mercy, rather than running over it without a thought. But he hadn’t exercised the gift of mercy since 1274. In his new form, the concept of mercy never entered his consciousness. He flew through the rain at great speed, heading toward the Ponte Vecchio, when the smell of blood filled his nostrils. There was more than one source, (or vintage as he called it), but the scent that attracted his attention was young and unaccountably sweet. It resurrected in him memories long forgotten. Instantly, he changed direction and increased his speed, moving toward the Ponte Santa Trinita. His black form was a blur against the night sky as he leapt from rooftop to rooftop. Other monsters moved in the darkness, from all parts of the city, racing toward the place where her innocent blood cried out from the ground. As he ran, the question uppermost in his mind was: Who would reach her first?

READ THE UPDATE BY SYLVAIN REYNARD REGARDING HIS NEW PNR, THE RAVEN!!

Dear Everyone,

Back in September, I wrote a post in which I mentioned my next novel. I’m pleased to be able to give you more information now.

My next novel is the first in a new series, and it will be entitled The Raven. With this novel, I’m asking you to pack your bags and travel with me to the city of Florence. The Gabriel Series showed you the city during the day. This time, I’ll show you Florence’s underworld, which is ruled by creatures of the night …

Here’s the formal announcement:

Cassita vulneratus.

As I mentioned in my September post, readers of Gabriel’s Redemption will be able to read an excerpt from The Raven at the end of both the paperback and e-book editions.

But what I didn’t mention was that one of the characters of The Raven appears in Gabriel’s Redemption. Can you identify him or her? I welcome your guesses in the comments below and on social media.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention that there’s a connection between The Gabriel Series and my new series – a connection that is more than simply me, or the city of Florence, or the Uffizi Gallery. If you’ve read the cover copy above carefully, probably you’re beginning to guess the answer. But I’ll be explicit and state that we won’t be saying goodbye to the Professor and Julianne at the end of Gabriel’s Redemption. Look for them to have cameo appearances in The Raven as well …

While I don’t have a release date for The Raven yet, I hope to have one soon. This novel marks my transition from a contemporary love story to a paranormal one. I hope you’ll join me on this journey and that if you have friends and family who enjoy paranormal novels, you’ll help me share the news with them.

As we approach the December 3rd release date of Gabriel’s Redemption in North America, my American publisher has listed a giveaway of the novel on Goodreads. US entrants can enter the contest here.

And if you’d like to read a new excerpt from Gabriel’s Redemption and enter another contest, you can do so here at Romance Times.

Finally, I want to wish everyone who is celebrating Thanksgiving this week a very happy holiday. I have much to be thankful for and in particular, I’m thankful for you, my readers.

All the best and thank you for your continued support,

SR

www.sylvainreynard.com

then..

I've been reading Gabriel's Redemption and I think I have a very accurate guess on who the mystery person is that will be in the The Raven. I'm assuming it's the blonde haired grey eyed stranger at the museum showing. Then later on after meeting him, Julia looks at a painting of Mercury and said that his features looked familiar. Either the painting was based after him or Mercury the God is coming into play! Any guesses? Leave me a comment and we can discuss!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Raven.

November 26, 2013 – Shelved
November 26, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)

message 1: by La-Lionne (new) - added it

La-Lionne OMG, I saw it on Facebook. This book sounds fantastic, I can't wait. I just hope I won't need to wait a year for it :-S.

message 2: by K (new) - added it

K La-Lionne wrote: "OMG, I saw it on Facebook. This book sounds fantastic, I can't wait. I just hope I won't need to wait a year for it :-S."

I KNOW!! Who do you think is going to be making a re-appearance in this??! I hope it's not someone we hate lol :p

message 3: by La-Lionne (last edited Nov 26, 2013 02:33PM) (new) - added it

La-Lionne Kinsey wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "OMG, I saw it on Facebook. This book sounds fantastic, I can't wait. I just hope I won't need to wait a year for it :-S."

I KNOW!! Who do you think is going to be making a re-app..."

I have no clue, but I'm so exited. It's hard to tell who that character is, GR is not out yet. But I already pre-ordered paperback and it suppose to be in my mailbox December 7th. *grabby hands* :-D.
This book sounds delish :).

message 4: by K (new) - added it

K La-Lionne wrote: "Kinsey wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "OMG, I saw it on Facebook. This book sounds fantastic, I can't wait. I just hope I won't need to wait a year for it :-S."

I KNOW!! Who do you think is going to be ..."

Ohh, that's right! We're going to meet them in the final installment! I don't know why I was thinking it was a character that we already knew! I hope the hero is just as yummy as my Professor ;D

message 5: by La-Lionne (new) - added it

La-Lionne Kinsey wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "Kinsey wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "OMG, I saw it on Facebook. This book sounds fantastic, I can't wait. I just hope I won't need to wait a year for it :-S."

I KNOW!! Who do you thi..."

I thought that, too, at first, that it was a character we already knew, because SR wrote "can you guess who she/he is". I think he forgot that the book is not out yet, he wrote it so he knows who it is :-).

message 6: by K (new) - added it

K La-Lionne wrote: "Kinsey wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "Kinsey wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "OMG, I saw it on Facebook. This book sounds fantastic, I can't wait. I just hope I won't need to wait a year for it :-S."

I KNOW!!..."

Yep, your right! I'm kinda nervous to read it! I heard that it's getting pretty good reviews, but I haven't't seen a lot of 5 stars. It's mostly 4-4.5...which is okay but still concerns me!

message 7: by La-Lionne (new) - added it

La-Lionne Kinsey wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "Kinsey wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "Kinsey wrote: "La-Lionne wrote: "OMG, I saw it on Facebook. This book sounds fantastic, I can't wait. I just hope I won't need to wait a year for ..."

I've seen it too. But it doesn't bother me, I saw a lot of 4 star reviews for first and second book, but it was 5 stars from me :).

message 8: by Rosalin (new)

Rosalin I don't like Paranormal but just because it's Sylvain, I'll be reading this! Omg

message 9: by K (new) - added it

K Rosalin wrote: "I don't like Paranormal but just because it's Sylvain, I'll be reading this! Omg"

SO FREAKING EXCITED!!!! :D

message 10: by Esther (new)

Esther I'm guessing that professor Pacciani might be in it???

message 11: by K (new) - added it

K Esther wrote: "I'm guessing that professor Pacciani might be in it???"

Good one! I can't believe you remembered his name! Talk about a dedicated fan. :) I'm also extremely excited about the fact that we'll get a glimpse of Gabriel and Julianne in this one ♥

message 12: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Gallagher think we are all thinking Professor Pacciani...

message 13: by K (new) - added it

K Jennifer wrote: "think we are all thinking Professor Pacciani..."

So excited!!! :)

message 14: by Jennifer (new) - added it

Jennifer Gallagher Kinsey wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "think we are all thinking Professor Pacciani..."

So excited!!! :)"

so am I

Sashel it's the guy that wax at the gallery opening for the paintings. the one that Gabriel asked Julia to stay away from

message 16: by K (new) - added it

K Sashel wrote: "it's the guy that wax at the gallery opening for the paintings. the one that Gabriel asked Julia to stay away from"

Yeah that's what I think as well! I think your talking about Pacciani!

message 17: by Deniz (new)

Deniz I am so excited too:)

message 18: by Lisa (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lisa I am soo anticipating the release of The Raven..I love this writer's style and of all the history she puts in her work. One of the all time best writers of all time ;)

message 19: by K (new) - added it

K Lisa wrote: "I am soo anticipating the release of The Raven..I love this writer's style and of all the history she puts in her work. One of the all time best writers of all time ;)"

Agreed!! Can't wait for it! I think about it daily. Wondering how Gabriel and Julia are going to figure into it though?...

Jerrie Hackett I'm still waiting. Please!

Beatrice ~ Confessions of a Pinay Bookaholic Oh my.. I'm craving for this book!