FlibBityFLooB's Reviews > Beyond Heaving Bosoms: The Smart Bitches' Guide to Romance Novels

Beyond Heaving Bosoms by Sarah Wendell

Nov 11, 2009

bookshelves: non-fiction, made-me-laugh, read-in-2009, witty-i-am-not
Read in December, 2009

4.5/5 stars. This was an inane and silly guide to romances, albeit immensely funny at times. I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but I was pleasantly surprised to find myself laughing so hard I had tears at a few points. On the other hand, the humor in this book is definitely not for everyone, and it can be downright juvenile at certain points.

There was lots of surprises to this book. In addition to literary analysis, there was mad-libs, choose your own adventures, board games, coloring, and more. My curiousity won out when I read the choose your own adventure in the last 50 pages of the book. I had to read all the different storylines. Couldn't help it. Very bizarre!

There were probably about 50 books mentioned throughout the book when looking at the evolution of romance since the 1970s. I am such a nerd that I think I would like to try to read all the books mentioned. Maybe that will make a good personal challenge for me in 2010. :)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beyond Heaving Bosoms.

12/07/2009 page 20
6.87% "It's a good sign when I'm only 20 pages into a book and I've already laughed out loud maniacally several times :)"
show 2 hidden updates…

BJ Rose Go ahead, FlibBity, make it a challenge, and list all the books - who knows how many of us will join in?!!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I guess I'm a nerd, too. I could see myself doing that too. Well, I knew I was a nerd already. :)