Cat's Reviews > The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making

The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own M... by Catherynne M. Valente

Nov 25, 2013

bookshelves: magical-ya

I listened to the audiobook version of this story, narrated by the author. Valente brings her story to life fantastically.
I have been meaning to read this book for a long time. Despite the suspense, the book lived up to my expectations, and then some.
Valente is a talented scholar of myth. She draws symbols, tropes, and archetypes together with her own imaginings and arranges them into patterns that feel so right. As a reader you get the sense that her stories ought to be true because they make so much sense, and they resonate with the deepest threads of human storytelling.
'The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland...' could be enjoyed equally by children, teens, and adults. There are layers upon layers to the story, and everyone remotely interested in myths or fairy tales would discover something profound while reading this book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making.

November 25, 2013 – Shelved