Angela Goodrich's Reviews > Widow

Widow by Erica Chilson

bookshelves: wicked-reads, review-copy, 2014-top-10

I received a free copy of this book to read and review for Wicked Reads.

LOVED IT!!! Widow was so worth the wait. I would have preferred not to have had to wait so long, but it was worth it. I absolutely loved watching the interplay between Malcolm and Clover as he attempted to court her using romance, gifts, affection, seduction, and guerrilla tactics - seriously Malcolm, what were you thinking with those texts and emails? I enjoy reading books in which the main characters are adults who have lived and experienced enough of life to know what they want and what they don't want. They've made mistakes, taken ownership of their mistakes, and learned from them. This is just one of the reasons I enjoyed Widow so much. Clover and Malcolm are widow and widower, have been single parents for years, and both had marriages they do not wish to replicate. While we may be spared the angst, there is still plenty of conflict and hurdles to overcome for this relationship to succeed.

If you've read Good Girl, then you already know what Clover considers to be her biggest mistake. You will also be aware of what mistake is currently plaguing Malcolm. What will surprise you is that most of Widow occurs during the same time frame as Good Girl (which MUST be read first). If you are a fan of Ms. Chilson's Restraint series, then you won't be surprised that there is actually very little scene overlapping despite the concurrent timeline. When it does occur, it enriches the story by offering a different perspective and giving the reader insight to the characters’ motivation. I was never bored nor felt like the author was recycling previously written material. I believe this is one of Ms. Chilson’s best talents. As a scene is narrated from another point of view, I regularly find myself reconsidering my initial impression - it’s often a “that’s not how it happened” moment, followed by an “I wondered why he/she did that,” which sometimes leads to a “that really worked?” bafflement. It’s thought provoking and forces me to reevaluate what I thought I knew about the character and storyline – and I love books that make me think.

At times, the more I enjoy a book, the harder it is for me to write a review. It’s that tangible “it” factor that is so hard to articulate that makes it difficult. Widow is one of the “it” books for me. I love the characters - they are so real to me that I long to be part of their world. The concurrent storyline between Widow and Good Girl makes it quite enjoyable to learn that the kids weren’t nearly as clever as they thought. Of course, the sex was HOT, but I would expect no less considering the author’s previous writing. In addition to being hot, it was also loving and emotionally satisfying. Having front row seats to enjoy the developing relationship between Malcolm and Clover was thoroughly entertaining as they made me laugh and cry, cringe and squirm, get mad at and for them, and fall in love with them. I’m already looking forward to the next installment in the series so I can enjoy watching as the Masons and Prynnes work to blend their families together even more. Besides, I have to know what happens considering the semi-cliffhanger ending Ms. Chilson gave us.

Wicked Reads Review Team
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Widow.

November 25, 2013 – Shelved