Cheree Moore's Reviews > Paddle Your Own Canoe: One Man's Fundamentals for Delicious Living

Paddle Your Own Canoe by Nick Offerman

1195784

did not like it

I didn't finish this book, but wanted to share my thoughts...

I am a pretty curious person and read a wide variety of material. I think it is important to shape my beliefs by reading and then discussing opinions different from my own (typically in person).

The book in question is Paddle Your Own Canoe, a memoir by comedian Nick Offerman (of Parks and Recreation fame). My problem with this book came in the second or so chapter. Offerman is very clear in his disdain for religion. I get that not everyone chooses to believe in a greater being, or the Bible, or anything for that matter; but I find it childish when adults choose to resort to name calling.

Offerman calls the Bible a book of fairytales that teach morality that is only believed by idiots. Calling a group of people idiots for believing in something you don't is straight up bullying and I am tired of it.

There are books and web sites and news stations that I refuse to watch or read because of this type of behavior (even when it comes to ideas that I agree with). I find it very unpalatable to engage in anything that stoops to name calling. I wouldn't allow my son to call other people names and I wouldn't continue a conversation with someone who was resorting to calling people names.

So, I didn't finish this book and have no intentions to, nor would I recommend it. The world is full of great content, I am not going to waste my time with someone who resorts to name calling while insisting their own beliefs are superior.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Paddle Your Own Canoe.

Finished Reading
November 25, 2013 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

Melissa Minard I wish I could just copy and paste your review as my own. Reading yours was like looking into my own mind. Well said!

Scott Cairns Thanks to your review, I will be adding this book to my list of books to read. Sounds awesome.

message 3: by Brian (new) - added it

Brian If you believe in the story of christianity, you're an idiot. That's not bullying. Grow up.

Louise Drummond Yeah, that's not what he said. he said people can believe whatever they want, as long as they don't bring it into school or government, because that's unconstitutional.

Come on, at least read the chapter properly. He says multiple times that he likes and admires many things about religion.