Stephanie G's Reviews > When the Marquess Met His Match

When the Marquess Met His Match by Laura Lee Guhrke

liked it
bookshelves: reviews-by-ronnie-guest-reviewer

Aside from an earlier book this month, my not so hot streak with historical romance continues. This time, it’s with a writer whom I quite like, but both the story and the characters left me wanting. Laura Lee Guhrke’s When The Marquess Met His Match does have some charming moments, but is for the most part, rather bland and forgettable.

Lady Belinda Featherstone is an American heiress that married young and somewhat rashly. While her marriage wasn’t exactly a success, she still managed to make a place for herself within British society. Not wanting to have other young women make the same mistake as she did earlier, when she makes a happy match between a young lady and an amiable lord, her success is noted and she becomes a premier matchmaker.

Nicholas Stirling, Marquess of Trubridge, doesn’t exactly make a good impression on Belinda when he comes calling upon her without notice and refuses to leave her home until she’s seen him. When Nicholas informs Belinda he’s after her services as a matchmaker, she practically laughs him out of her home. The Marquess is in pretty dire straits – he has to get married in order to replace the income that his father has cut off. Being married for what you bring to the marriage is something that Belinda is familiar with and sees no reason to have another naïve heiress suffer as she has.

Lady Belinda makes an aggressive move to thwart Nicholas’ plans by advertising the fact that he is very short of funds, and seeks a wealthy bride. Outraged by what she’s done, he makes the melodramatic statement that this means war. Prepare for a battle of the wills. In this sense, the book doesn’t tread any new ground, and I’m not particularly fond of scenarios that force someone’s hand. Trubridge has been just fine with living his life the way he has, and in order to keep up with that level of comfort, he has to find funds. Later on during the course of the book, you learn about how much he loathes his father and what occurred between the two of them to make Nicholas loathe him so.

Truth be told, had his circumstances not changed, I don’t think Nicholas ever would have either. The book makes a point to show his growth from a careless, arrogant Marquess to a more driven and thoughtful man, but that’s a pretty standard plot point in a lot of historical romance, and thus my statement earlier about it being pleasant, if not memorable. Belinda, for her part, shows that she’s unafraid to protect her charges no matter the cost, and when she realizes that she may have been wrong about the Marquess, she owns up to it and offers to help in his quest to find a bride.

The book’s pace is pretty even and I enjoyed the banter between the two of them as they go through Belinda’s choices for Nicholas. The romance is amicable, but there are some clichés thrown in, as the evil father of Trubridge tries to control and thwart his son. Overall, it was a nice book, but nothing extraordinary.
- Ronnie

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When the Marquess Met His Match.

Finished Reading