MGGMMGGM's Reviews > Time Spell

Time Spell by T.A. Foster

4202510

it was ok

Originally posted at The Solitary Bookworm

There’s something about Time Spell that caught my attention from the very start. We have a book, a witch and the ability to time travelling. Just thinking about the endless possibilities made me want to read the book instantly. I love the concept of a witch who uses her magic to whip up a story for a book. I was excited to read the first in the series and for most parts I enjoyed Time Spell but it has its holes that I couldn’t ignore.

Basically, Ivy Grace is a witch who traveled back to 1968 in Las Vegas with the quest of finding that perfect story for her book. In a gist, she found that story, wrote and published it which became a smashing success. Ivy Grace’s life couldn’t get more better than this but one day, the inevitable happened an Ivy Grace is faced with a problem that she needed to face.

Time Spell is indeed sassy and intriguing with a very strong female lead however some bits and pieces doesn’t mesh together for me to the story. I felt that there were certain parts of the book that needed more build up and development. For one, I was expecting a story focused more on Ivy Grace’s magic rather than the mystery behind the story of her book. I was expecting more information about her family and her witch-y nature but the information given to me was not enough. I wanted to get to know the characters a little better. In addition to that, I nearly know nothing about the male counterpart in the story – Finn or Jack which resulted to me having no emotional investment in the relationship part whatsoever. Although one can follow the story with ease, the lack of development in the characters just loses the appeal to a reader.

Time Spell is written with a vision and I like the idea of T.A’s story but I needed more. As I said, story is easy to follow as T.A style is not that difficult to adjust to plus the idea of magic in Time Spell is unique but I needed more. I love the idea of magic that can be taught or shared but a witch also has their distinct spell that couldn’t be shared and is particularly theirs. I am interested in learning more of that. Again, Time Spell is an interesting and quick read but I expected more. It has enormous potential and I believe as the story continues, I’ll have a different opinion – story and character wise. It just saddens me that the first book in the series didn’t provide me with the wow factor I was looking for.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Time Spell.

Started Reading