Elly Sands's Reviews > Inside the Dream Palace: The Life and Times of New York's Legendary Chelsea Hotel

Inside the Dream Palace by Sherill Tippins

F 50x66

This book was so well written and researched that I have to give it at least 4 stars. It didn't quite get 5 stars because it gets bogged down in places with too much information. I was surprised to learn about the initial reason and philosophy regarding the building and design of Hotel Chelsea in 1885. It is too involved to write about here but one of the descriptions in the book is accurate when saying "Art was built into it's bones". It explains why over the years such a variety of artists were drawn to live and create there but oh my how it evolved into a drug scene. The blight of the drugs makes Woodstock seem like a tea party. The author did a visceral job of allowing the reader to feel the seediness and self indulgence while still keeping the true creative spirit alive. One can only hope that the new owners will value the history of that spirit and not whitewash over it and turn it into just another homogeneous hotel.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Inside the Dream Palace.

November 23, 2013 – Shelved