Kayla's Reviews > Second Verse

Second Verse by Jennifer Walkup

3119530
There is so much more to this book than immediately meets the eye. So much mystery and suspense comes into this plot, and there are so many twists and paranormal elements that I loved and just hadn't been expecting! Some of it was a little much to comprehend, at first, as it was integrated in the plot. I ended up loving all of these extra elements, even with the building intrigue of the Hunt and the violent past that comes with Lange's house.

I was trying to solve the mystery alongside Lange and wrongly guessed at what was going on several times. Unlike most YA novels that follow murders and intrigue, I wasn't actually ever able to come to the right conclusion! I only started to get a feel for what was happening as soon as Lange started to expect it and by then I just couldn't put the book down because I needed to see how it would all play out.

I really loved Lange and Vaughn. They were so cute together! I like how he kept trying to come up with creative nicknames for her strange name. But didn't he ever notice that he has an odd name, too? Their personalities meshed so well, I think, because they're both incredibly creative and really care about the people around them. I liked seeing how they were going to face certain situations and handle the new revelations that were flying at them.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book and think that a wide variety of people can as well. It's written in a simple way yet the style still has a beautiful, ghostly tinge to it that only enhances the plot. I'd recommend this book to fans of mysteries, paranormal books, and YA novels that keep you guessing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Verse.

Quotes Kayla Liked

Jennifer Walkup
“My eyes meet his and I understand exactly what he's saying. He's my person. He's my home.”
Jennifer Walkup, Second Verse