Lucinda's Reviews > The Prince's Man

The Prince's Man by Deborah Jay

Saving his kingdom seemed that simple choice – until he uncovered his heritage

Classic medieval fantasy with an unusual sinister sleuth ‘twist’!

Book 1: in the five kingdoms series is a sensational creation that blends together sweeping epic fantasy with a thoroughly modern edge to it. The mix of spellbinding romance with a dark mystery, made me feel like I was reading a Robin Hobb novel - -and yet something quite different. Amid this packed tale of deadly politics, secret assassins and old magic lies an undercurrent of an adventure {or ambitious quest} as its foundations. Fantastic characters such as rogue and ladies man Rustam Chalice and spy Prince Halnashead for instance, take you on the most entertaining journey across the vastly imaginative world.

Unlike other fantasy books ‘The Prince’s Man’ is supremely singular, and a tale that’s so intricately woven you cannot help but get lost within it. I was so mesmerized by the detailed descriptions, tangible world-building and intricate narrative that I just did not want to put this book down. Deborah Jay has created a highly believable world in which you can loose yourself entirely within, as well as a cast of unforgettable characters and creatures.

Seamless storytelling and a perfect balance of in-depth prose and dramatic action, makes this assured novel a most enjoyable read. The suspenseful and gripping battle scenes are so vivid and authentic; you are able to clearly envisage the brutality and gore. This captivating fantasy is well written and incredibly convincing hence I have no hesitation in placing it alongside Hobb, Feist, Martin and Brooks upon my bookshelf. If you enjoy fantasy with a touch of reality then this outstanding debut is definitely worth reading! Without a doubt this book for me deserves no less than 5 stars.

I was provided with a ‘PDF’ {e-copy} from the author to read, and I would like to state how my review reflects my honest and impartial opinions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Prince's Man.

November 23, 2013 – Shelved
November 23, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
February 23, 2014 – Started Reading
February 24, 2014 –
page 89
February 25, 2014 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)