Margaret's Reviews > King of Hearts

King of Hearts by Kay David

bookshelves: arc-or-committed-to-review

Solid 3.5 stars!

Kingston Landry is a good cop, but he has secrets from his past that are catching up with him. Jessie Delacort is an undercover agent and has been burned before by men with secrets. They spent one night together months ago, and now, after a series of crimes take place, they must work together to bring down a powerful drug cartel.

Jessie can’t help the wild attraction she feels for King…
“He’d had the whole cool Nordic look going with the icy blue eyes and tall, lean form, but the moment he’d put his hands on her, she’d realized his calm collectedness was a façade – inside, the man smoldered.”

…but she needs to protect her heart from being broken again.
“His secrets separated the two of them like a curtain she couldn’t see behind, though it seemed important that she do so.” That realization jarred her. The last thing she needed – the very last thing – was to fall for another cop with a hidden agenda.”

King wants Jessie like he’s wanted no one before, but because of his past he knows he needs to keep her at a distance to keep her safe – something that he can’t seem to do…
“He drifted, thinking about the pleasure Jessie had brought him and his out-of-control emotions that were turning into love. Either of these could mean her death if news of this night and the depth of his feeling for her got back to Ortega.”

…but those secrets continue to drive them apart.
“Sometimes secrets are necessary.”
She spoke as if she knew what he was thinking “Secrets may be necessary in your life, but they aren’t in mine.”

As Jessie and King work to bring Ortega and his drug cartel down, King must confront not only the demons from his past but also those that stand to threaten his future.

I really enjoyed this book. Even though it was the second installment in the Smokin’ ACES series, I don’t think I missed anything by not having read book #1 – Texas Hold 'Em. I loved the all the tension between King and Jessie, especially all the bantering and innuendos that got thrown around. Loved that the ACES were undercover as a motorcycle club and Jessie’s undercover persona was a bad-ass biker chick! There were a few plot points that I thought could have been further developed, but all in all this was a good read that kept me turning the pages.

I received an eARC from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read King of Hearts.

Started Reading