David's Reviews > Agile Software Development with Scrum

Agile Software Development with Scrum by Ken Schwaber

M 50x66
Oct 14, 2007

did not like it

Can the authors be any more full of themselves?

When I went to such and such company "I" implemented this, "I" established that. I thought agile software development was about the team, not lauding individual accomplishments. An irony the authors seemed to have overlooked.

BTW, have you ever been to a company where agile development just plain failed? Just flat out sucked. I've worked at two companies in the last year where they brought in expensive consultants/analysts to help implement agile dev. and its totally ruining things. People leaving in mass droves. Why? Because of one simple overlooked principle - programmers are people, not robots. You maximize throughput (in theory) because your underlying goal is "to please the stakeholder". The stakeholder becomes your god in this model. Problem is, some people are a kind of aetheist (or don't worship that god) - the kind that has a family and kids, the kind that has life goals that don't include moving up a corporate ladder, the kind that likes be assigned tasks based on ability and interest, not mandate by the "scrum master" (which honestly sounds a bit gay).

Don't get me wrong, agile development (which I call "common sense with buzzwords") will work in certain situations with varying degrees of effectiveness. But its not the silver bullet of software development that so many people claim it to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Agile Software Development with Scrum.

02/01 marked as: read

message 1: by Doug (last edited Nov 19, 2009 10:09PM) (new)

Doug If tasks are being 'mandated by the "scrum master"' then your organization isn't following the Scrum rules. As I understand it, the Features for a Sprint will be selected by the Product Owner, and the Team will determine how these features -- which they agree to complete in the time allocated for the sprint -- get built. The Scrum Master is simply a guide, helping the team abide by the rules (as best they can) and removing road blocks where possible.

I've worked on two projects where Scrum, or something fairly close to Scrum, was used, and productivity and team buy-in seemed to improve with every sprint. It didn't solve all of our problems, and it took work to keep things from getting stale, but the rapid delivery of functionality, and the regular inspect and adapt cycles were worth the effort.