Eshusdaughter's Reviews > Halfway to the Grave

Halfway to the Grave by Jeaniene Frost

Nov 08, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: books-i-discarded, fantasy, fiction, urban-fantasy
Read in April, 2010

Cat is half-vampire, half-mortal and determined to take out as many vamps as she can. She teams up with Bones, a vampire bounty hunter, to take down a dangerous vampire crime ring.

I discarded this book half-way through. It was just too painful to continue. I like plucky, kick-ass female protagonists. Heck I love them in general. But here's the thing - they have to be done well. Cat is a cardboard cutout with no pulse even if she is half-human. Her self-pity and pathetic-ness merely annoyed me rather than making me feel sympathetic and I didn't buy her bad-ass routine. She managed to kill 16 vamps on her own. How? Because the first time she meets one who's even slightly competent she gets her butt kicked. Her naivete is also annoying.

Bones drives me insane. The British-isms and accent are way, way overdone. This is a character trying too hard which succeeds only in being a caricature of a Brit rather than coming off as authentic. I winced every time Bones opened his mouth. Also, his condescending pet-names for Cat were gag-worthy. The final straw for me, other than the lackluster characters, plodding plot & convenient author contrived incidents, was the over use of sexuality throughout. Sexy is subtle, it is not a sledge hammer slamming up against the reader. Sexy is the tension between Illona Andrews Kate Daniels & Curran in Magic Bites. Sexy can be overt like with Alexia Tarabotti & Conall in Carriger's Soulless. Sexy is not outright innuendo and crude language that comes across as more sleazy than anything else.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Halfway to the Grave.