Nai's Reviews > Second Verse

Second Verse by Jennifer Walkup

It's not a spelling mistake, I assure you. Luminis Books definitely shines a light on authors you might not have otherwise noticed in the clustered publishing world. I've read a few of their other author's books before, and would love to point you in the direction of either Aloha Mozart, and Maybe I Will.

Mostly though, I want you to take a look at Second Verse with me.

At lunch. It's a date!

12:04pm: We've met for lunch, and today, the menu calls for curried vegetable soup with some fabulous esspresso, and peppermint cookies for dessert.

There's a conversation going on around our table (which in reality is my desk) and we're talking about society, all the ins and outs, up and downs and bad things that happen to good people.

Murder, Mystery and suspense.

There's a beautiful aspect to reading a YA novel, and remembering what it was like to wonder about the world, not be as cynical as age has allowed us to become, and remember the good times.

But how is that possible in a book full of so much Murder and (more after this short break).

8:54pm: I know, I'm a terrible person. The wonderful author of this book has probably been waiting all day for the rest of my review.

[caption id="attachment_1774" align="aligncenter" width="237"]Ohhhh the suspense Ohhhh the suspense! :P (I really hope this is not the look on her face) And, I promise, my review will turn Angry Kitty's frown around.[/caption]

It really is full of wonderful intrigue, suspense, and made for a great conversation at lunch with new co-workers.

Walkup's ability to not only tell a story, but make the YA reader care about the characters is astounding. It was a quick read (took me about 4 hours - but I do read quickly) and kept me interested and page flipping the whole way through.

I needed a break from reality, and getting wound up in a mystery was the exact relief I needed. I love that books can serve, not only as a distraction, but as a conversation starter. In a new environment, where I am still uncomfortable because I'm kooky like that, having something to start a conversation about at lunch time when people WANT to talk about things that are NOT work is helpful.

Books have always bridged that gap for me, and being able to talk about not only the book, but the audience, the story (which was amazing) and the importance of reading are all really useful conversations.

Second Verse drew me in, captivated my attention, and was so great I had to share my experience reading with other people. While I'm no longer a young adult, I would highly recommend it for that audience, and think it's a breath of fresh air. I feared 'just another mystery novel' and was overwhelmed with the quaility.

For that reason, you should check out the following information on the tour, and give it a try!
About the Book - About the Author - Prizes!!!
Welcome to another exciting publishing house spotlight tour from Novel Publicity. Join us as two new titles from Luminis Books--we're calling them the Luminis Dyad--tour the blogosphere in a way that just can't be ignored. And, hey, we've got prizes!

About the prizes: Who doesn't love prizes? You could win either of two $25 Amazon gift cards, an autographed copy of Second Verse by Jennifer Walkup, or an autographed copy of its tour mate, The Field by Tracy Richardson. Here's what you need to do...

Enter the Rafflecopter contest
Leave a comment on my blog

That's it! One random commenter during this tour will win a $25 gift card. Visit more blogs for more chances to win--the full list of participating bloggers can be found  HERE . The other $25 gift card and the 3 autographed books will be given out via Rafflecopter. You can find the contest entry form linked below or on the official Luminis Duo tour page via Novel Publicity. Good luck!

About the book: Can love last more than a lifetime? Can Murder? Bad things come in threes. In Shady Springs, that includes murder.

Lange Crawford’s move to Shady Springs, Pennsylvania, lands her a group of awesome friends, a major crush on songwriter Vaughn, and life in a haunted, 200-year-old farmhouse. It also brings The Hunt: an infamous murder mystery festival where students solve a fake, gruesome murder scheme during the week of Halloween. Well, supposedly fake.

Weeks before The Hunt, Lange and her friends hold a séance in the farmhouse’s eerie barn. When a voice rushes through, whispering haunting words that only she and Vaughn can hear, Lange realizes it's begging for help. The mysterious voice leads Lange and Vaughn to uncover letters and photos left behind by a murdered girl, Ginny, and they become obsessed with her story and the horrifying threats that led to her murder.

But someone doesn’t like their snooping, and Lange and Vaughn begin receiving the same threats that Ginny once did. The mysterious words from the barn become crucial to figuring out Ginny's past and discovering how their own past is connected to hers. They must work fast to uncover the truth or risk finding out if history really does repeat itself.

Pick up your copy of this Young Adult/ Paranormal/ Thriller l through Amazon US, Amazon UK, or Barnes & Noble.

About the author: When Jennifer Walkup isn’t writing or reading, she’s spending time with her husband and young sons, listening to Red Hot Chili Peppers, and coming up with costume ideas for Halloween. She’s obsessed with good coffee and new recipes and likes broccoli on her pizza, flowers in her hair, flip-flops on her feet, and the number 13. A member of SCBWI, Jennifer also serves as fiction editor for The Meadowland Review and teaches creative writing at The Writers Circle. Second Verse is her first novel. Connect with Jennifer on her websiteblogFacebookTwitter, or GoodReads.

Luminis Books was launched in January, 2010 by husband and wife team Tracy Richardson and Chris Katsaropoulos with a mission to publish thought-provoking literary fiction for children and adults. We publish what we love: Meaningful Books That Entertain. Our award-winning books engage and inform readers and explore a wide range of topics from love and relationships, teen sexual assault and homelessness to string theory, consciousness, and the Universal Energy Field. Luminis Books is a proudly independent publisher located in Carmel, IN. Learn more at www.luminisbooks.com.

Learn more about Second Verse's tour mate HERE.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Second Verse.

Started Reading