Krys's Reviews > Bitterblue

Bitterblue by Kristin Cashore

Bitterblue is the third book in Kristin Cashore's fantastically gorgeous series, The Seven Kingdoms. I have waited three years to read this book... I know, me and everyone else, of course. However, three years and no book begins to breed fear in one's mind... is it going to be as good? Why is it taking so long? Is it going to be as good now that it has taken so long?

I enjoyed reading Bitterblue. So much. This pleases me. Brava, Cashore. Brava.

It's been eight years since Bitterblue became the Queen of Monsea. There has been major adjustments for the young Queen to make. She has to clean up all of the mess that her deceased father, Leck, made during his 35 year reign. Bitterblue is a young woman heavily affected by trauma; she has interesting coping mechanisms whenever her father's terror colours her present. She has many obstacles to surmount.

It's not until Bitterblue begins to spend time outside of the castle that she truly begins to understand the impact of her Father's tenure. Disguising herself as a baker she meets a group of new friends who take her trust issues to new levels. Among them is Saf, the glib mouthed and surly thief. Through him Bitterblue begins to find a new direction for herself as Ruler of Monsea - to decipher a mystery her Father left behind and what it means to the hearts of her people.

This is a much quieter book than the previous two in the series. Graceling is all scrappy action while Fire is all enduring heart... but this book is pure stamina. It's a tiny flame that takes down an entire wilderness. This book smolders. So much of the time is spent revolving about language and mathematics and you think you would get bored with it... but I couldn't call myself an honest Cashore fan if her work bored me, now could I? This is such a different book from the other two, and yet it fits perfectly within the others. It's the precious little sister that you want to protect and cosset. It's a perfect punctuation mark.

5 out of 5 stars.

- Review courtesy of www.bibliopunkkreads.com

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Bitterblue.

November 8, 2009 – Shelved
October 8, 2010 – Shelved as: court-intrigue
October 8, 2010 – Shelved as: fantasy
April 14, 2011 – Shelved as: young-adult
March 16, 2012 – Started Reading
March 17, 2012 –
page 45
7.81% "I've had no time to read this since cracking it yesterday. I need to fix this."
March 19, 2012 –
March 20, 2012 –
page 403
March 20, 2012 –
page 465
80.73% "Ok, it's push time."
March 20, 2012 – Shelved as: read-in-2012