Krys's Reviews > Sisters Red

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce

Nov 08, 2009

bookshelves: medium-length-book, young-adult, werewolf-shapeshifter, fairy-tale-themed, fantasy, first-person-narrative, monster-hunting, read-in-2010, urban-dark-fantasy-paranormal, own, series-i-love, series
Recommended for: Fans of Melissa Marr, Cassandra Clare, and Holly Black.

Sisters Red by Jackson Pearce was the first book I read in two weeks that stuck. That’s because it was good. Real good. Putting off an ARC of Cassandra Clare’s Clockwork Angel until I was finished kind of good… Yeah, that good.

I was really intrigued by the premise. At first glance I thought it would be a take on the fairy tale Snow White & Rose Red. It ended up being closer to Little Red Riding Hood than anything. So, it’s a fairy tale crossed with an Urban Fantasy monster hunting teen romance.

Yeah. I liked it. A lot.

Scarlett and Rosie March were once attacked by the Fenris when they were children. During the attack their Oma March was killed and Scarlett suffered while protecting Rosie from a Fenris. Years later, horribly scarred and missing an eye, Scarlett trains and toils to protect all of the Innocents from learning about the soulless beasts that roam among them.

The trouble is that while Scarlett stays true to the purpose Rosie wanes in her attention to the cause. It doesn’t help that Silas, a friend from their youth, has taken up residence as Scarlett’s hunting partner. And Rosie finds him quite distracting, especially when he starts encouraging her to have a life outside of hunting and slaying.

The narration of this is quite good. We, as the reader, jump between alternating chapters of Rosie and Scarlett telling their side of the story, and both voices are very different from one another. Not only that but both have a very different story to tell. The book is really a coming of age tale for both girls that happens to have blood thirsty werewolves in it. Rosie struggles with a desire to fit in, but can’t because of a loyalty to Scarlett and the cause. Meanwhile Scarlett feels she owes much to Rosie but cannot shake her own what if moments. What if she didn’t know about the Fenris? What if she grew up a normal girl, or “dragonfly” as she affectionately calls her peers? What if she hadn’t been scarred?

This is a spectacular book. I did call one of the plot points in the beginning, but I’m not mad at the predictability of it. The book more than made up for it. I think fans of Holly Black, Cassandra Clare, and Melissa Marr would adore this.

5 of 5 stars. I loved it.

- review courtesy of
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sisters Red.

November 8, 2009 – Shelved
February 28, 2010 – Shelved as: fantasy
June 14, 2010 – Started Reading
June 15, 2010 –
page 45
13.72% "good so far, I'm enjoying the dual narrations, though at this point in the dialogue I don't know the characters well enough to keep their personalities straight and I keep swapping them accidentally."
June 15, 2010 – Shelved as: first-person-narrative
June 15, 2010 – Shelved as: monster-hunting
June 15, 2010 –
page 85
25.91% "too much going on this morning to concentrate, but it's good so far... first book to stick in more than a week."
June 19, 2010 –
page 140
42.68% "wow, 4 days since I read anything! This week kicked my ass emotionally. Back to work."
page 229
page 273
83.23% "Planning on finishing this one tonight and startng clockwork angel next. squee."
page 346