BookChic Club's Reviews > The Explosionist

The Explosionist by Jenny Davidson

Nov 22, 2013

I borrowed this book way back when from The Compulsive Reader because it sounded like such an amazing book. However, it was also very long and it took me a while to actually get around to it; well, now I finally have and I can tell you that I was not disappointed. I really enjoyed the fantasy element of it being about one moment in history being altered, like the summary says, and imagining what the world would be like. The story is full of intrigue, suspense, action, but the main character of Sophie, though caught up in all of this drama, is still a girl at heart and so are her friends, so you get a realistic portrayal of girl talk and crushes as well. Davidson's prose is also interesting to read because it guides the reader along easily even with the explanations of science and politics, which are actually exciting to read about in the context of this novel and do not slow the story down at all. What I also enjoyed was the paranormal aspect of mediums and contacting the other side, and using that as a way of figuring everything out. Davidson did such a clever job crafting this novel, and it's amazing to see how everything clicks into place at the end. Really totally definitely highly recommended!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Explosionist.

Finished Reading