C.G. Drews's Reviews > To All the Boys I've Loved Before

To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

bookshelves: 5-star, contemporary, read-2016, young-adult, foodie-fiction, read-2018, reread
Read 2 times. Last read February 2, 2018 to February 6, 2018.

REREAD #2: February 2018
So I absolutely frikkin ADORED this book when I first read it and proceeded to order book 2 immediately and then wait in agony for it to arrive. And then (remember: SO MUCH AGONY)...I proceeded to not read it. Because my ship. My ship. Anyway I went ahead and forgot the whole thing so that's great of me. I'm only now rereading it because I own the second two books and intend to read them soon.

SOMEONE HOLD ME TO IT OMG or I'll just keep rereading this one until my heart explodes.

Reread Thoughts:
• this book is so freaking cute and adorable
• and all the fOOD
• this is everything I need in a fluff contemporary
• lowkey hate Josh and Margot (she is so callous and totally dismissive of Lara Jean's anxiety)
• speaking of which I LOVE how Lara Jean's anxiety was represented. I don't think she has a disorder, she's just a bit anxious but !! I love this !! in books !! It's so relatable to have lowkey anxiety in books as well. <3
• Kitty is absolutely fantastic and also Slytherin
• Lara Jean is like the Hufflepuff amongst all these Slytherins it is good
• Lara Jean's life is like "is this aesthetic because that's what matters" and that is such quality I can get behind
• get this girl onto Pinterest
• did I mention how hungry i am
• ALSO MY SHIP IS LARA AND PETER SO BADLY I CAN'T STAND MYSELF PLS LET IT SAIL ARTHGGHAGH
• omg fan

READ #1: Sept 2016
I actually love this book FAR TOO MUCH. And I am actually genuinely in a mood because it's over and I NEED THE SEQUEL AND I DON'T HAVE THE SEQUEL. I'M SERIOUSLY UPSET. I'm supposed to be a Vulcan who doesn't even love contemporary that much...WHO AM I. WHAT HAS HAPPENED TO ME. I freaking loved this book and I'm just over here sobbing.

[composes self]

Okay okay let's talk about it SENSIBLY. (Omg where is my Vulcan soul, come back here you runaway.)

And obviously I'll just write a list of all the things I NEED TO FLAIL OVER in this book:

It's delightfully diverse! With Lara Jean being half Korean ergo biracial.
And IT HAS SISTERS. Like I seriously love sister books because I have one or four of them myself. So it's enormously relatable. Plus Lara Jean sort of has this rift with her older sister when Margot goes off to school...and it just really hit home for me. 3 I really really really related to aaaaall the sisterly dynamics in here. This is so what it is to be sisters. YA WANNA KILL 'EM AND HUG 'EM SIMULTANEOUSLY.
Did I mention Lara Jean is fantastic?!? She is quiet and likes to be at home and she loves baking and she knits and scrapbooks and SHE IS HAPPY TO BE HER. I JUST LOVE IT SO MUCH I COULD CRY!! Plus I generally find the "quiet" people in books tend to also be seriously boring. Was Lara Jean boring?? HAHAAH #NOPE. She was so interesting and fun and witty and also scared and reserved and just...she felt like absolutely a real person. Which is what I want to read about!
• BLESS THESE CHARACTERS. BLESS THIS BOOK.
Okay it is a love triangle...but it is a downright amazing one. And it's complicated. Because Lara Jean writes letters to boys she's loved as a "let go" thing. But someone sends them (!!) and the boys get them (!!) and her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh, gets one. In order to NOT lose face with Josh (hello, he's her sister's!) Lara Jean "pretends" to get together with Peter Kavinsky. Peter and Lara Jean are totally using each other and it's all a fake relationship...at first. But the basic gloriousness of it is: (A) both boys are interesting and complex characters, and (B) I liked them both a lot at the beginning, and (C) it wasn't a case of Lara Jean being "in love with two people". IT WAS NEVER LIKE THAT. So I loved this triangle!! Perfection!
• I absolutely freakishly enormously LOVE PETER KAVINSKY. I can't breath. Someone send help. No no send cookies.
And Josh started off cool but then?? eh. No.
Also I kind of hated Margo, but whatever. Kitty (who is the 9yo sister) was fantastic so that makes up for it.
ALSO DID WE TALK ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF FOOD IN HERE YET??? This is true foodie fiction. I'm not even kidding: there is AT LEAST food mentioned in every chapter. Like meals and outings and ice cream and baking (SO SO MUCH BAKING) I literally died several times. NO I'M NOT EVEN KIDDING. I had to stop reading and go eat a banana muffin and sour cream because I was starving. Curse this book omg.
• ALL BOOKS SHOULD BE THIS FOODIE. It fully gets an extra star for the food. It does. I'm not even ashamed.
• Also the character development?!??!?? I AM IN LOVE WITH IT. I just...I ship Lara Jean and Peter so bad someone hold me I'm crying. I'm a wreck. UGHGGH. But I love how Lara Jean developed over the course of the book and I loved how the book wasn't completely angsty or anything. It was just beautifully written and interesting and fully captivating.
I like it.
• HAHAHAH JUST KIDDING I LOVE IT.

(Excuse me, I need to go sit down, I've fangirled too much and I don't know what to do with myself.)

(Also I want to eat.)

(Darn this book.)

Lucas smiles. "You're so cute," he says, and I perk up again. Then he says, "Listen, can you not tell anybody though? I mean, I'm out, but I'm not out yet. You knwo what I mean?"
"Totally," I say, super confident.
"For instance, my mom knows but my dad only kind of knows. I haven't outright told him."
"Got it."
"I just let people believe what they please. I don't feel like it's my responsibility to quantify myself for them. I mean, you get what I'm talking about. As a biracial person, I'm sure people are always asking you what race you are, right?"
I haven't thought of it that way before, but yes yes yes! Lucas just gets it. "Exactly. It's like, why do you need to know?"
"Exactly."

"My favourite food is cake"
"What kind of cake?"
"It doesn't matter. All cake."
"You jsut gave me so much shit for not picking," he begins.
"But it's so hard to pick one kind!" I burst out. "I mean, there's coconut cake, the kind with white forsting that looks like a snowball -- I like that a lot. But then I also like cheesecake, and lemon cake, and carrot cake. Also red velvet cake with cream cheese frosting, and chocolate cake with chocoalte ganache frosting." I pause. "Have you ever had olive-oil cake?"
"No. That sounds weird."
"It's really, really goood. Really moist and delicious. I'll make it for you."
Peter groans. "You're making me hungry."

YOU AND ME BOTH, PETER. [SOBBING BECAUSE NEEDS CAKE]

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read To All the Boys I've Loved Before.

November 22, 2013 – Shelved
November 22, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read
September 13, 2016 – Started Reading
September 13, 2016 –
page 131
36.9% "There is so much FOOD IN THIS BOOK. Literally food on every page and I'm (A) dying of starvation, and (B) such a fan omg."
September 13, 2016 –
page 225
60.98% ""My favourite food is cake."\n"What kind of cake?"\n"It doesn't matter. All cake."\n\nHELLO I THINK I JUST FOUND MY LITERARY SOUL SISTER."
September 14, 2016 – Shelved as: 5-star
September 14, 2016 – Finished Reading
February 2, 2018 – Started Reading
February 2, 2018 –
page 30
8.45% "REREAD TIME!! Because someone clever (not) bought the rest of the trilogy and forgot (typical) everything about this one before reading them."
February 5, 2018 –
page 82
23.1% "As much as I adore this book and this reread...Margot is like my least favourite thing. 😒"
February 6, 2018 –
page 150
42.25% "Lara Jean: I don't like you.
Peter: well I don't like you EITHER.
Me:
Me:
Me: isn't this the cutest ship"
February 6, 2018 – Shelved as: read-2018
February 6, 2018 – Finished Reading
February 26, 2018 – Shelved as: reread

Comments Showing 1-50 of 54 (54 new)

message 1: by Rbooks (new)

Rbooks Glad this book was a winner for you <3

C.G. Drews SO SO GOOD I LOVE IT.

message 3: by Reynita (new)

Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★ Great review! Glad you loved this book :D

Sprinkled Pages I so agree about the food! The amount of food in this book made me ridiculously happy, it's crazy! Especially because I love to bake!

Isabelle (Belle's Book Adventures/the Book Dutchesses) I love this book so much! Happy you did too :D I'm not a big contemporary lover either but this book was just the best! Excited to see what you'll think of the second book, because that ending was just driving me crazy (and I had to wait like a year or something for the sequel). Also can't wait for the third book to come out!

Zaira I related to your review so very much!! That's exactly what I felt when I finished this book. Awesome review. You made me wanna re read it :)

Samantha (WLABB) As always -- a fantastic review. I loved this book (and the next, and I will probably love the 3rd one too). It as all about the sisters for me. I get all squishy when I get to look in on their interactions with each other.

Naomi YESSS this series is fantastic!!!

Brittney THIS IS ONE OF MY FAVOURITES I COULD REREAD IT OVER AND OVER. The sequel is just as foodie as well, if I remember correctly. I'm so excited for the third one aaaaaaa sometimes i forget that there's gonna be a third and then I remember and I just scream internally

message 10: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews I'M SCREAMING INTERNALLY PERMANENTLY UNTIL I GET MORE BOOKS IN THIS SERIES. *happy sobbing*

message 11: by Engi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Engi OH MY GOD I AM SO HAPPY YOU LOVED IT!!! I LOVE PETER KAVINSKY SO MUCH SO MUCH WHERE IS HE IN REAL LIFE?! Also I am dying waiting for the third book! Lara Jean is my spirit animal!

Annie-JoElizabeth Why do I still have mixed feelings over TATBILB?!! Every reason you listed reminds I liked it .... maybe it's the nonromantic part of me. Glad you loved it Cait! : D

message 13: by Esther (new)

Esther I KNOOOOOOOW!!!!!!! LIKE SERIOUSLY I LOVED THE BOOK FOR THE EXACT THINGS YOU DID!!!!!!!! THE SECOND ONE IS SO GOOD TOO!!!!!!!!!!! AND *SCREAMS* I AM DYING FOR THE NEEEEXT OOOOOOONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! IT COMES OUT NEXT! YEAR! LIKE, SERIOUSLY? I CAN'T WAIT THAT LONG!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you liked Peter in this one, you will LOVE him in the next one!! He is SO sweet, and SO amazing I CANNOT WAIT FOR YOU TO READ IT SO I CAN FANGIRL WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!
*rereads what I just wrote* wow, that is a lot of screaming. BUT IT IS WORTH IT!!!!!! *SCREAMS*

Sydney Writer I COMPLETELY agree with everything you said in this review! TATBILB is one of my favorite books of all time - it's just so fantastic! And Peter Kavinsky and Lara Jean are just so perfect together... I honestly can't say enough about this book. The sequel was just as good! I'm SO, SO, SO excited for book three. I can hardly sit still just thinking about it!

message 15: by Madame (new)

Madame Reads I've read the description of this book before and felt very "meh" about it, but your review has made me rethink EVERYTHING. I don't usually like contemporary either, but I think I'm gonna give this one a shot. Awesome review! <3

Annie ☆{of Lightwoods and Herondales}☆ oh Godddddd AS IF I wasn't already exchanging meaningful (full of re-reading, basically) glances with my copy, now I feel like rereading it is SIGNED SEALED AND DELIVERED! *YOU MUST READ THE SECOND ONE FAST FAST FASTTTTTTTTTTT*

Becca OMG I'm glad you LOVED this book!! I LOVE IT SO MUCH!! <3 I actually haven't read the second because I'm worried about the love triangle - PETER is the BEST!

message 18: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Lou OMG YASSSSSSSSSSSS I THOUGHT YOU ALREADY READ THIS BOOK BECAUSE FOOD AMD CAME AND YOU NEED TO READ THE SEQUEL I OWN IT I WISH I COULD GIVE IT TO YOU BUT... I DONT LIVE IN AUSTRALIA. SAD FACE.

Adesuwa Grace (Somewhat Reserved) You were right, Cait. I really liked it despite its cheesiness and stuff. Peter was merely okay for me. I wasn't that attached to him.

I liked Margot. She was so organised and motherly and stuff. But I hated Kitty. She was too much of a brat for me. I didn't like how she treated Lara Jean with such little respect. (We're like opposites on this xD)

I adored Lara Jean of course. She was absolutely lovely and adorable and I need a friend like her. The main problem is that she has a slight bad taste in boys (*cough* Kavinsky!)

message 20: by Katie (new)

Katie Mankowski My daughter loved this book any suggestions books she will like she is 14 . Thanks

message 21: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Katie: Has she tried Morgan Matson? I'd recommend Since You've Been Gone and The Unexpected Everything. They've got the same sort of feel as this book!

message 22: by Ari (new) - rated it 3 stars

Ari OMG YESS! This is so good!!! I can't wait until the third one comes out I can't I can't I can't!! I absolutely love your review!

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie Mankowski Thank you

Erica You just put everything I felt about this book into words! I can't believe I waited so long to read this...but I need the sequel in my possession right this second. Hilarious, relatable review! :)

Nadhira Satria PETER IS EVERYTHING

Laylation Books Can you read minds?
Because I think you read mine
THIS IS THE BEST REVIEW I'VE EVER READ
Do you blog?

message 27: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Anna: Yes! I blog at paperfury.com. :D

message 28: by Daniela (new) - added it

Daniela Ark's Bookiverse Oh oh oh I gonna read this book! You are VERY convincing! And yes all books should be foodies! Reading (and loving) Like Water for Chocolate probably mostly because of all the food :)

message 29: by Vena (new) - rated it 5 stars

Vena Isabella Reading your review is giving me all the feels! I forgot how much I loved this book. MUST RE-READ RIGHT NOW!

Mylin I hate love triangles. You said it wasn't like she was in love with two guys at once so what is it like?

Zenki the Hermit Here I am enthusiastically nodding throughout your entire review! Yes, the sisterly dynamics were spot-on. Yes, Lara Jean is absolutely fantastic and she's so hilarious!. Yes, this book is perfect for foodies. And I loved the cute, simple outfits as well (I actually took note of them).

Cait, this review is so fangirly I wanted to be there jumping up and down with youuuu. I'm so behind with the hype. This book was so ages ago but I loved loved loved it!

message 32: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Zenki: I'm so glad you love it too. :D :D I haven't read either sequel yet but I SHALL SOON BECAUSE LOVE.

beatrice WILL YOU WATCH THE MOVIE??

Cri (PaperbacksandPizza) Glad you enjoyed it too :)

message 35: by Esther (new)

Esther YASS. THIS BOOK IS LIFE! AND FOOD!! AND EVERYTHING!!!
#LARAJEAN+PETER4LIFE

Brooke I'm actually in the mood for a reread of this as well. And you must read the sequels. ><

Fuzaila ~ is on hiatus OMG thank you for this review!! Literally all of the reviewers I follow gave it a one star and you are my ABSOLUTE FAVOURITE AND YOU LOVE THIS BOOK OMG ILU 😍

message 38: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews I'm (completely stupidly I know 😂) actually away from home right now but 2 WEEKS UNTIL I GET BACK THEN I'M READING THEM. NOTHING WILL STOP ME.

message 39: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Fuzaila: Awww thank you!! I'm so glad we are in agreement. (Who can rate this precious bundle any less than aaall the stars omg.)

message 40: by Nada (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nada Ashraf Ok so since u loved it on a reread I'm more interested in reading it!!! We'll see how it works 😁😁

message 41: by Crushin it (new)

Crushin it short summary of book please

message 42: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Nada: I hope you like it!

@Gracie: Um go read the Goodreads synopsis?

Susie Wang How can you not read the second AND the third book immediately after this???? I couldn't stop myself, seriously. I HAD to read them after the first one.

message 44: by C.G. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C.G. Drews @Susie: Well in my defence the 3rd book wasn't out! hahaha But I KNOW. I'm ashamed!😂😂I love this book so much.

Susie Wang Cait (Paper Fury) wrote: "@Susie: Well in my defence the 3rd book wasn't out! hahaha But I KNOW. I'm ashamed!😂😂I love this book so much."

I'm actually impressed. I have no control over my impulses. And with a first book that doesn't have a real ending, I just can't help myself.

The third one wasn't out when I first read it, but I immediately read the second one. (The fact I read both e-books helped.) And with the reread recently, I basically put a pause on everything else in my life and reread the whole series in a row.

message 46: by Gill (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gill I loved this and I loved the second book and ... I haven't read the third book (because I am terrible and also a little afraid)

Susie Wang Gill wrote: "I loved this and I loved the second book and ... I haven't read the third book (because I am terrible and also a little afraid)"

Don't want to spoil anything for you, but if you liked the ship in the first two, you're going to like the third one!

Zenki the Hermit RIGHT?! THIS IS SUCH A FEEL-GOOD BOOK!

Atiye’S_lttlebookn00k OMG I loooooved this book! I love Lara Jean’s personality! 😁😊

Hanaa I love Peter Kavinsky too.. i mean no one talks about him in the reviews. He is so cute

« previous 1