BookChic Club's Reviews > Dear Julia

Dear Julia by Amy Bronwen Zemser

Nov 22, 2013

I was really intrigued by this concept and am so glad I got this book from HarperTeen FirstLook. Judging from the summary alone, you can tell it's gonna be a hilarious adventure and it is- I had many laugh-out-loud moments. But it's not just a humorous novel- there's some great character development in not only the main character but also all the secondary characters. I was really pleased with this book until the ending. Now I love happy endings and all, but for some reason, this just felt way too contrived for me, and characters changed for almost no reason, and also the way Elaine is encouraged before the sudden death match near the end between her cooking team and the other one was pretty impossible, unless I missed a timeline for this book, which if I did, probably was not all that clear to begin with. Aside from the poorly written cliche ending (hardly any explanations for some character changes), and also the characterization of the antagonist Croton, who didn't seem to have a good bone at all in his body and was pure evil (not realistic at all), it was a pretty good book and a very fast read. So really, if I were grading this, it would be receiving a B-. It's pretty good, but not the best by far.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dear Julia.

Finished Reading