Jeffrey Jelmeland's Reviews > Plenty: Eating Locally on the 100-Mile Diet

Plenty by Alisa Smith

Nov 08, 2009

bookshelves: own, reference-shelf

I was originally inspired to search out this book after watching an episode on television about a community trying a social experiment based off of the experiences of the authors in this book. It was only an hour show, but it struck a cord with me, so we searched out the book. The topic of raising and growing our own food has been an on again off again topic between my wife and I for a couple of years now, with us gradually taking more and more steps along that path. This book has convinced me that we need to define "local" for ourselves, and see what we can do to live on what we can find within that region. We can't do a lot of growing ourselves because we don't own property, but we have some options that we are exploring.

All said, this book has been highly inspirational for me, and I strongly recommend it for anyone who is contemplating eating locally, and feeling challenged at the prospect, feeling that they can't possibly find foods that they will enjoy locally.

Spend some time searching the Internet. You might be amazed at what you find. I had thought that we would have to give up alcohol, with the exception of wine which is produced in abundance locally. After less than 30 minutes I learned that there are a number of distilleries quite close by, mainly producing vodka and gin, but a few are producing rum, and a couple are talking about producing whiskey, one of my favorites. Rice is also available, which surprised me even more since I didn't think that we had any rice producers in the area. Look and see before you decide that you can't do it. Then give it a try, in stages or whole hog. You might be surprised at what you find.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Plenty.

November 8, 2009 – Shelved