Laura's Reviews > 1984

1984 by George Orwell

liked it
bookshelves: classics, dystopias, fantasy, science-fiction

I don't have much to say for this book. It was really dark. It was really philosophical.

Yeah that's pretty much it.

So I gave it three stars mainly because of the truth behind most of Orwell's theories. As my English teacher so profoundly put it: Orwell is writing this book mainly for the same purpose as you put a pill in a spoonful of yogurt in order to swallow it. 'The Book' written by Goldstein is the pill while the rest of the book is the yogurt. Just let that sink in for a minute. This is what Orwell's theories are for the human condition. I disagree with a lot of what he said but the way he said it merited four stars from me. I'm not reviewing this on the ideas, but rather the writing because this is a pretty controversial topic on whether this sort of situation could ever really happen.

It's kind of frightening that someone can rule the world by controlling the human mind even though I'm not entirely sure if I believe that could happen. That being said, I found it hard to read a lot of the book. The writing was a little rambley for my taste as well as missing a few things.

I really don't have anything to say for the ending except that it made me cry but not because (view spoiler) It matched the overall tone of the book, though, so I can't really complain.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 1984.

November 22, 2013 – Shelved as: to-read