Larissa Brown's Reviews > Pack Up the Moon

Pack Up the Moon by Rachael Herron

Dec 27, 13

bookshelves: written-by-my-friends
I own a copy

How can I begin to describe the magic of PACK UP THE MOON?

When I try to review it, it sounds dark, and what I want to convey is really its amazing lightness - a balance that Rachael Herron has managed deftly. She manages to put her characters through the hardest tests, and yet comes out with a book that is hopeful and full of love. It’s an honest book, not sugar coated. It looks at how much secrets weigh. It plumbs the mystery of where hope comes from, even amidst enormous loss.

Rachael’s characters capture your heart slowly, quietly, until before you know it, you love them. You're willing to follow them, even as they head into the darkest corners of heartbreak. And you cheer for them when they find even the most fragile beauty and connection.

More spoiler-ish:

This book quietly transforms from what you think it will be – a story of a mother’s loss, in terms of what she willfully gives away as well as what is taken from her – to something entirely different. It becomes a story about the people around her, and about trust, betrayal and many other hard but wonderful things.

My heart went completely to one of the main characters, who was not our POV character – the dad in the story. I felt a kind of tenderness toward Nolan that the author created without sentimentality. Without spoiling things, I’ll say that he’s a person who’s gone so low, he finds a kind of lightness at the bottom, which many of us can identify with. His character will make you consider your own courage, in a great way, that leaves you feeling like you’re not alone in this world.
3 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Pack Up the Moon.

11/22/2013 marked as: read