Ines's Reviews > The Long Fall

2058003
Nov 08, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: crime, fiction

I don't know what to say about this book, other than to say, it is what it is. It's my first Walter Mosley book, and, probably my last.

The author tells you a story, just the way it is. No suspense, no thrill. I wasn't compelled, I didn't want to find out what happened next, sometimes I didn't even want to turn the page. Worst of all, I couldn't relate to the main character, even come close to liking him, or want to find out what his fate would be. I was always the outsider, but I wanted to like this book.

I guess maybe, if you take a step back, the way it is written is in the black-and-white detective movie way, where the narrator gives you a running monologue of what is going on.

Lastly, this is the first book of the series, but in reading it I almost felt like there were 50 books preceding this one that gave a more thorough description of what happened in the past (that the main character constantly refers to) and more background/development of the secondary characters.

It was too dry for me. I am curious to know if Mosley's other books are like this as well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Long Fall.

Quotes Ines Liked

Walter Mosley
“A man's bookcase will tell you everything you'll ever need to know about him," my father had told me more than once. "A businessman has business books and a dream has novels and books of poetry. Most women like reading about love, and a true revolutionary will have books about the minutiae of overthrowing the oppressor. A person with no books is inconsequential in a modern setting, but a peasant that reads is a prince in waiting.”
Walter Mosley, The Long Fall

November 15, 2009 –
page 130
Started Reading
November 16, 2009 – Finished Reading

Linda Try an Easy Rollins book, he is much mre interesting. I particularly liked The Little Yellow Dog and Devil in a Blue Dress.