Joe's Reviews > Blood on the Tongue

Blood on the Tongue by Stephen Booth

25882000

liked it
bookshelves: mystery-thriller

This is the third Cooper/Fry mystery and although not as good as Black Dog,(the 1st in the series), it is better than Dancing with Virgins,(the 2nd). Right out of the gate the reader is greeted with an apparent suicide, a missing infant, an unidentified body dug up by a snowplow and the mysterious disappearance of a WWII pilot 60 years ago when the bomber he was flying crashed into a near-by hill.

One would think this would be enough to fill 500 + pages, but alas for me, not so. For whatever reason the author inexplicably spends an inordinate amount of time on things inane. For instance one reads at length about the temperature people keep their houses during the dead of winter, characters' wet shoes and the lack of healthy personnel at the Edensdale police station, all with no purpose.

The reader also spends a lot of time, (understandably so), with both Ben Cooper and Diane Fry. Cooper is a contradiction, young and naive one moment, but wise beyond his years the next - diligent and hardworking but a dreamer none the less. His character just didn't gel for me.

Fry is so unpleasant, (virtually one dimensional), that she becomes a caricature of herself half-way through the book and I simply couldn't take her seriously. Again all unfortunate because the storyline/plot is well thought out, the characters just fall painfully short.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Blood on the Tongue.

Started Reading
March 30, 2006 – Finished Reading
November 22, 2013 – Shelved
June 19, 2017 – Shelved as: mystery-thriller

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Gillian (new) - added it

Gillian Porter Yes!!! Totally agree, this was the first one of the series for me and will probably be the last. Took too long to get to any point. No real tension about the missing baby, and I got tired of hearing about the steep slippery roads