Kaitlin Ward's Reviews > Like Mandarin

Like Mandarin by Kirsten Hubbard

Nov 08, 2009

bookshelves: yahighway, my-faves

I think it is finally time for me to write some actual thoughts to go with my five star rating. So. I have read this book three times now. And every time, it is as beautiful as the last time. It's beautiful in so many layers, you almost NEED to read it more than once to truly appreciate it. Or at least, I did. The most obvious way in which this book is beautiful is the writing--the similes and metaphors, the way the setting creeps into the smallest details. And of course there's Mandarin. If Mandarin had been at my high school, I think I would've been as awe-stricken by her as Grace is. And Grace. I could relate to her. I could remember well, being her age, feeling the way that she feels in this book. And then there are jackalopes and child beauty pageants in all their creepy glory and Grace's quirky mom and adorable younger sister. Her friends, who you can tell feel as adolescently confused as Grace, even from their small interactions with her.
It's just a gorgeous, amazing, inspiring book. I don't know how to say it any better than that.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Like Mandarin.

Started Reading