Kathleen's Reviews > Dark Skye

Dark Skye by Kresley Cole
Rate this book
Clear rating

by
13954899
's review

liked it
bookshelves: fantastical-romance, audio

The hostile bickering went on too long for me. Should have talked it out sooner, rather than go around and around. Story could be shortened.

Contents include a few explicit sex scenes and lots of bloody gore. Language includes several F-bombs but no religious cussing and no demeaning terms for female anatomy (kudos).

I listened to the audio, narrated *superbly* by Robert Petkoff, so I probably have misspelled some names.

This is the "epic story" of Thronos and Lanthe, a tale of everlasting love, beginning in childhood. Sweet, poignant, amusing, sexy, suspenseful, and sometimes a tearjerker. Thronos totally adores his little Lamb. He's a hard hot hunk with huge heart. Loved him. Thronos, the great "reader of words" and Lanthe, "keeper of keys, opener of doors" (funny scene).

We get some witty dialogue, some sizzling sexual tension, and an entertaining adventure battling dragons, buzzy bugs, demons, etc. Lanthe and Thronos make their way through four worlds, similar to the Treasure Hunt in No Rest for the Wicked. On the four planes, Lanthe and Thronos must alternatively hurt, then leave, then cleave, and finally shine, according to Nebulous Nix.

Much of the book takes place on Inferno. It's also called Pandemonia. (Why not Pandemonium, I wondered. Or did I mishear?). The place is a mix of Dante's Inferno, Greek myths, and Milton's Paradise Lost. It is on this hellish plane that Lanthe first begins to suspect that heavenly Skye is not all it's cracked up to be.

Character development: Thronos must come to terms with his true nature, abilities, and origins (I liked those parts, but this unveiling needed further development). He must also learn to forget the past to forge a future with Lanthe. Gripping scenes, when he finally saw the light, via a Groundhog Day trope.

Relationship development between Thronos and Lanthe is credible and absorbing. I liked the slow development of trust, truth, and fierce loyalty. Sometimes I got annoyed and impatient with Lanthe. She seemed shallow and selfish for a long while.

Quibble: I felt the overarching plot, via Nix, went off on a tangent. Nix is petitioning the goddesses for a new position (in itself, a bizarre twist). Meeting with the goddesses, she foretells who the REAL ENEMY is in this excerpt:
(view spoiler)

So, a major plot twist, revealing the real enemy. First it was faction versus faction. Then it was Pravus versus Vertas. Now this enemy, and the implication of a delayed confrontation, in 20 years or so. It felt like Cole is taking a left turn in the series-wide plot, but that's her right, and she explains it to some slight extent, so I'm good (enough) with it, for now. See where it goes, but hoping she doesn't drag it out.

Some of my series-wide concerns, listed below, are addressed in this book. We make some progress with Furie, imprisoned under the sea. We hear just a vague mention of the Well of Souls. There is some movement in the plot thread regarding locks of Valkyrie hair and the Wraiths that guard Valkyrie's home. The Accession twins are born to Holly, and apparently they are pretty much untouchable warriors already, in infancy. (Nice to see Holly and Cadion again, happy with their babies). No well-known positive secondary characters die, but beloved characters experience pain, fire, and mutilation. Hag, the pretty witch who can find people, is mentioned again.

By the way, did Sebastian and Conrad ever go back in time and bring their family into the future? We heard it in No Rest for the Wicked, and also in Dark Deeds at Night's Edge.


****** Original Prepublication Thoughts *******

Release date moved back. Not sure when it's coming, but I have EXPECTATIONS beyond the long-anticipated romancing of Lanthe and Thronos. Some things need to start happening to lend credence to the integrity of the series as a whole. The Accession must become more epic than it has been. More deadly. Nïx calls it an apocalypse, but no positive key character has died and stayed dead. Good guys have won in every book.

This series -- which I initially found so promising -- is beginning to feel like a highly erotic cartoon disguised as fantasy. The Accession plot is becoming...a joke. Sigh. At least the romance is good.

The big bad Accession must become manifest. Any day now. (*drumming fingers impatiently*) I mean -- hello -- we've had a dozen books hyping it up! According to Malkom in Demon from the Dark: "King Rydstrom wishes me to fight with him in the coming Accession" (p. 422).

Accession described in A Hunger Like No Other (p. 58)
"Bringing prosperity and power to the victors...cosmic checks-and-balances system for an ever-growing population of immortals, forcing them to kill each other off. The faction [singular] that lost the fewest of their kind won."
But Cole has created a problem with all the cross-faction mating, because Accession must then become civil war. For as Lachlain ponders in AHLNO, "the Valkyrie had always maintained an uneasy truce with the Lykae...Until the Accession. When all immortals were forced to fight..." And one faction will defeat the rest. One. The Horde faction has emerged victor in the last three (or four?) Accessions.

However, with no explanation, Cole deviated from her original prophecy in AHLNO, about one faction winning. In Dark Desires After Dusk, she suddenly discusses the Lore factions as either Pravus (evil) or Vertas (good). Is she changing the game? Not factions versus factions but good versus evil? If so, she needs to explain why.

As also prophecied, a child of "the vessel" is born "for each Accession" (every 500 years). "The vessel's firstborn will be the ultimate warrior for either good or evil" (chap 9 Dark Desires After Dusk.) The last four vessel-borne have been evil über-warriors, for two millennium.

So...Holly must bear a child, and the child must grow to make a difference to the Accession outcome -- born "for" the Accession. Presumably that implies that something relative to the Accession will come of the birth. It also follows that competing bad factions will try to kill Holly's child before it reaches warrior status.


The red wraiths who guard Val Hall in exchange for a lock of Valkyrie hair must gain enough strands to create a braid, and thereby gain control over all the Valkyrie for a short time. What will they make the Valkyrie do? I have seen that foreshadowed in nearly every book so it must be important to the plot, or it's just words.

The Well of Souls. What ho?? See Kiss of a Demon King

Freya and Wóden. Will they ever wake up? Else, why are we repeatedly reminded that they are sleeping, while other gods and goddesses are awake?

Valkyrie Queen Furie, in chains under the sea. Will she throw fits when she learns about the inter-species marriages, as the Valkyrie worry? This is foreshadowed in probably every book.

By the end of the series, there must be a resolution to these points, or the entire series loses points on plot cohesion, consistency, and connectivity. If Cole changes the game midplay, that could be okay, if she justifies or at least explains the changes to this reader. Making it up as you go along and changing the rules at will is inconsiderate and sloppy.

I have no idea how Cole is going to pull it off, but starting a new Dacian series seems like a distractor, unless she plans to involve Lothaire's Kingdom of Myst and Blood in the Accession resolution.
93 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Skye.
Sign In »

Reading Progress

Finished Reading
November 21, 2013 – Shelved
August 6, 2014 –
50.0% "Interesting world jumping, and fairly poignant at times, but I'm so ready for them to just. stop. bickering." (Hardcover Edition)
August 6, 2014 –
85.0% "Skye (time to shine). Hot blooded demon lover! (But no hot water!!?)" (Hardcover Edition)
August 6, 2014 –
95.0% "Remember! Remember!" (Hardcover Edition)
August 6, 2014 –
100.0% "teary-eyed ending" (Hardcover Edition)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 168 (168 new)


The Window Seat This one I can't WAIT for!! :)


Kathleen Oh? Why this one particularly?


Anna (Bobs Her Hair) My guess is she's been anxiously waiting for this book since Kiss of the Demon King. It's been a loooooooooong wait!


Kathleen Yes, it has. I really liked Lanthe in KotDK, but have no reason to love Thronos. Never really "met" him in any depth.


Anna (Bobs Her Hair) True. It's the glimpse of him as a little boy who cares for Lanthe. Too bad his dad nearly beheaded her sister. The actions of that day cause serious bitterness, not to mention his deformed wings . I think I can forgive him since he was a child when all this happened.

The character I still struggle with is Regin's vivisectionist hero. He got off too easy.


Kathleen Totally nodding at that. Aiden berserker cannot be a hero to me. And Webb matched with Nix is truly nucking futs.


Cristina Kathleen❄ wrote: "Totally nodding at that. Aiden berserker cannot be a hero to me. And Webb matched with Nix is truly nucking futs."

Declan never redeemed himself in my eyes... He was a sociopath. Didn't see how Regin could love him.


Kathleen I so agree, Cristina. I refused to buy his book. Sad, cuz I love Regin.


Randol I think you have not been seeing the big picture of this Ascension. Nix is trying to bind as many factions together as she can so that they can face off against an apocalyptic threat. The Pravus' army can go suck a dick, they are a distraction to the real threat. However, the really exciting bit in all of this is Nix herself. She's practically on the verge of godhood.


message 10: by Kathleen (last edited Nov 22, 2013 07:09PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathleen That may well be the case. However, I am seeing a growing disconnect between the fearsome prophecies of doom (quoted in my review) and the actual events of the books. As I said, not one key positive character has died, only vague tertiary characters. People we don't know, like little Ruby's mother. Compare this to Harry Potter, where we lost some beloved characters, or to Lord of the Rings, and my point is made.

Epic fantasy without death is not an apocalypse, and you can't wait till book 18 to start bringing on the bad.

As far as Nix trying to bind together the factions goes, I certainly do see that. I have thought the same thing. However, I also see what the text says, about ONE faction winning, and the competing factions are not Pravus verses Virtus, but rather all the groups, Hordes vs Valkyrie vs Demons vs Witches, etc. The last three Accessions were won by the Horde (see quotes in review).

So, Cole needs to address that. I can only go with what she wrote.


The Window Seat Yes, the reason I can't wait is because of that BRIEF glimpse of Thronos in KotDK... that there was something between him and Lanthe since childhood...that is my "weakness" Stories of children bonded since childhood, torn apart by fate and others, coming together...In every series there is usually ONE of these and they are my complete weakness.....so yeah. THIS is the one I have been waiting for....

Now...as for MY BOY Declan. Litte preface. I never liked Regin and absolutely dreaded that book. Put the series down, left it hanging because I had no interest in that loud mouthed Valkyrie or any wacky reincarnated Berserker... NO interest in that story. But I ADORED it. Loved it to the point it is now my fav in the series. And it was not like I went in with any bias, if any bias existed I should have hated it.

I found Declan to be tortured, he suffered (his middle name was def R-E-G-R-E-T.) Sigh... I totally see how he can be unliked, but he became my fav.

And as for losing characters... Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings are fantasy. These are paranormal romances. It isn't a given that the "war" and the consequences are realistic because it is a romance with a HEA at the end...


message 12: by Kathleen (last edited Nov 22, 2013 07:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathleen Sure. HP is fantasy. With some romance. As is LotR. Cole writes fantasy, too, with extreme romantica. She chose to write in that subgenre, and to insert tons of gloomy prophecies and foreshadowing. Think of The Last Hour of Gann or Silver Borne or Frost Burned. Lots of death and true despair. Cole doesn't need to kill off the H and h -- of course not -- but a few lovable secondary characters could go. Otherwise, for THIS reader, the series loses points, because I was set up by the author's own prophecies of apocalypse.

This is my opinion. I don't expect everyone to share it. I know from the reviews I scan that some readers don't comment on that aspect. Some just care about the romantic relationship.

Now, as to your thoughts about Declan, I am intrigued. Maybe I will read it. Must think on it.

As to your love for romances that begin in childhood, I like that trope too. Sometimes. Often, actually. Must confess, I had not paid all that much attention to Thronos in KofDK, because I knew that when his book came out, I would go back to it and refresh my memory.

Thanks for the discussion!


The Window Seat Excellent points on the fantasy v romance ideas, Kathleen! I look at Cole at more romantic comedy in a sense - not too deep and dark despite the Ascension (or whatever it is called) In fact, as time has gone on it just seems the Ascension is about match making more than an epic battle between good and evil so my expectations on that score have probably lowered considerably since AHLNO... :)

You haven't read DoaDW yet? Now to me... that is a story that you either love or hate - mostly because of Declan. THAT was the darkest of the IAD books. I was bawling my eyes out before the prologue ended and did not put the book down til I finished it at 3 am... then I promptly picked it BACK up and started rereading it. So, yeah, it is high on my recommendation list but I can totally see how if Declan or Aiden don't touch you, you could easily dislike the book. I think a) I loved Declan and b) Regin surprised me with her depth. The combo just made that one work for me...

If you like that trope - STORM KISSED by Jessica Andersen has a great one of those. It's part of her Nightkeepers series, but because of the story line in that one (the childhood loves torn apart) much of the romance takes places outside the story arc and can be read as a stand alone. Sure, you won't "know" some of the characters, but the H*H really commandeer that story so it shouldn't be a problem. I would really recommend it! :)

So...bottom line, yeah, I have been waiting for Thronos and Lanthe for a long time and really hope Cole hits THIS one out of the park! :)

Great chatting! :)


message 14: by Kathleen (last edited Nov 24, 2013 12:36AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathleen Hi Window Seat,

You said, "as time has gone on it just seems the Ascension is about match making more than an epic battle between good and evil so my expectations on that score have probably lowered considerably since AHLNO..."

Yes, it does seem like erotic comic adventure, so I am sadly resigning myself to taking a loss on the apocalyptic aspects of this series. I hope that Cole surprises me with how she handles the Accession (not Ascension), and with pulling on the other threads she has been weaving together. She could surprise us all.

Yeah, I see that you loved DoaDW. I haven't read it, and even with your eloquent appeal for Declan and Regin, I remain on the fence. Not sure I want to be bawling my eyes out, Lol. :)

However, I may "just do it" for closure.

I will check out Storm Kissed. Sounds good, thanks.

Yes, here's to Lanthe and Thronos. Cheers! And here's to KCole!


message 15: by Haikufall (new) - added it

Haikufall Thanks for the link, I know I have a version from my local library on my ipod. But I'm not sure if I have this one or not.


Kathleen This book isn't out yet, Haikufall. Gotta wait till August! Sorry...


message 17: by Kyrsten ^.^ (last edited Dec 07, 2013 01:53AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kyrsten ^.^ I agree with your points and I also have high expectations though it’s kind of confusing because I cannot get bored with the books. Probably because they cleverly take place almost in the same time so we don't get the feeling that much time has passed so why does not happen anything?

Accession: I think that will be a kind of good vs. evil battle since Nïx is working a lot on the alliances. Marriage is how the cross-faction staff is solved, guys will always chose their mates and females usually have strong bonds to each other so I think for example in Emmaline case it is obvious that the Lykae will stay at the Valkyre side. And this I also reinforced by Lucia and Garreth.

Pravus (evil) or Vertas (good): this is also an exciting thing since it seems you can decide and several evils chose the good side because of their mates.

The vessel: I don’t know what to expect about this mostly because the series lacks of further discussion or mention of the previously introduced characters. I can totally imagine that there will be no ultimate warrior for this Accession. If it is that close shouldn’t that childe be borne now? We only moved toward a year with Garreth and Lucia (if I remember correctly) and still nothing about the vessel.
Totally no clue about the red wraiths that guard Val Hall…..same with the Well of Souls (I was kind of disappointed with that also in the book. So much ado for nothing.)

I do not think that Freya and Wóden will wake up in the series. It feels like that they are ok with them sleeping so I consider it ok as well. But who knows…one of them can be killed for example. And that’s the point that thrills me too. Someone should die. I know it would be said but really big things happened and predicted so it cannot be avoided.

I can totally imagine that the accession will be Nïx’s book but on the other hand I am afraid most of my expectations won’t be satisfied because as I mentioned once a couples story is done we do not hear a lot about them.

Absolutely not sure about reading the Dacian series.


message 18: by Kathleen (last edited Dec 07, 2013 08:42AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathleen Kyrsten ^.^ wrote: "I agree with your points and I also have high expectations though it’s kind of confusing because I cannot get bored with the books. Probably because they cleverly take place almost in the same time..."

Thanks for the conversation, Kyrsten. I am glad to hear from another reader who likes the books, but also wonders about the prophecies, predictions, and foreshadowing.

You're right. The books are not boring, no matter what. And yes, as you said, they do seem to take place at the same time, within about a year. I actually think the tight timing is weird. I mean what are the chances they'd all get lucky in one year?! Lol.

You said, "I can totally imagine that the accession will be Nïx’s book but on the other hand I am afraid most of my expectations won’t be satisfied because as I mentioned once a couples story is done we do not hear a lot about them."

Right. That is what I think, too. Kinda disappointing. I especially wish we could see Malkom and Carrow again, like we said. And all the other mated couples could be playing a bigger role in the actual Accession plot.

Yes, I agree that Cole seems to be changing her story, from factions killing factions, with only one faction the victor (her original words) to Pravus versus Vertus. I am fine with that, but only if she comes up with a reason. After all, they've been doing this Accession battle for thousands of years, so why now do they suddenly get smart enough to join forces and crossbreed? I like the idea. She just needs to tighten up that loose screw.

See, it's funny when you say nothing might happen with the Ultimate Warrior Vessel Borne because the series hasn't moved forward more than a year and with no further mention of the warrior. That's just disappointing, after all that talk. Talk talk talk. ;)

At the very least, all the Pravus should be trying to kill Holly before she gives birth. Once the baby is born, they should try infanticide. Do you think that might happen?

You said, "Pravus (evil) or Vertas (good): this is also an exciting thing since it seems you can decide and several evils chose the good side because of their mates."

Have any Pravus switched sides? I don't recall. Unless you mean the fire demons and the Forebear vampires, but were they truly Pravus to begin with?

Yeah, I have no clue about the Red Wraiths or the Well of Souls either. And that was a bummer, leaving that thread dangling. And no clue about the Dacien series.

Yea, I am okay with Freya and Wóden sleeping. It doesn't make any sense, but it's a minor thing. However, Cole might wake them up, and that could be really a fun scene.

Yes, as you said, someone should die, and that would be thrilling. Like in Harry Potter or Moon Called.

Thanks, Krysten. I guess we wait and see what Cole has in store. :)
Fingers crossed she tightens up the threads of her grand tapestry.


Kyrsten ^.^ Pravus (evil) or Vertas (good): when La Dorada appears only those are freed from their collar who are evil: Malkolm and Lotharie they both lost theirs. Also Conrad was a red eyed Vampire and Sabine served the evil.

Thanks for the discussion too :)


Kathleen Oh, right. Yes, I forgot that scene. Good catch.


The Window Seat Actually, Lothaire didn't lose his collar when La Dorada came to Order's prison. But Malkom did... and we still don't really know why....


Kathleen Well, isn't that odd?


The Window Seat Kathleen❄ wrote: "Well, isn't that odd?"

Not odd that Lothaire didn't - La Dorada wanted him weakened... but why Malkom's was removed I have never understood except that it worked in the plot - made him strong while Carrow was weak. But... honestly, it was never explained...


Kathleen That's a good point about Lothaire, but it implies that La Dorada had control over each collar. How?

I agree...Malkom lost his band for exactly the reason you give, and it doesn't really make sense, because he is not evil, and never was. I think of evil as being a precise word, and in the fantasy genre, the term is not used lightly. Fantasy, as a genre, is almost always about the battle between true goodness and darkest evil.

This is another case of Cole being muddled, I believe.


The Window Seat Yes, and if you look at it that way... does that imply that evil Lothaire is really good? While I could buy that - he isn't as evil as he thinks he is - I don't and won't buy that Malkom was in any way evil...


Kathleen Nodding emphatically. It hurts my head. I guess we must chalk it up to expediency, a plot contrivance. Ah well. I still loved Malkom's book, but...


message 27: by The Window Seat (last edited Dec 08, 2013 11:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Window Seat LOL! Yes, it did reek of a plot contrivance to me. I thought she would go back and explain it, or explain it in Lothaire's book, but it never happened... Sigh, I still love that one too, though! :)


Kyrsten ^.^ My explanation of Malkolm loosing his collar: at that point he felt betrayed and wanted revenge so he had kind of evil thoughts....I assume but for me it means the line is very thin between good and evil.

Lothaire's book will be my next one :)


Kathleen Kyrsten ^.^ wrote: "My explanation of Malkolm loosing his collar: at that point he felt betrayed and wanted revenge so he had kind of evil thoughts....I assume but for me it means the line is very thin between good an..."

Actually, Krysten, that explanation kind of works! Cole didn't say that, did she? Anyway, it works for me! :)


Kyrsten ^.^ No, she did not. :) That's just my idea


Kathleen Well, it's logical. :)


The Window Seat Yes, it is logical. He wanted to do pretty evil things to Carrow and Declan at that point... but there was a "moment" wasn't there? Where La Dorada hesitated looking at him? I guess that was Cole's way of telling us that your answer is what Dorada was thinking! :)


Kathleen Yes, true!


Kyrsten ^.^ Yes! :) Mystery solved or at least this one


Kathleen Yup! :)


message 36: by Mark (new)

Mark Avrit Actually, 'faction' does not equal 'race'. The lykhae and valkyries are tenuous allies at best against common enemies. But before Emma and Lachlain there was nothing stronger than 'enemy of my enemy is my friend' which a faction does not make. However, the furies and valkyries consider themselves family despite the fact that they aren't really. That is a faction. The house of Witches, at least, the New Orleans coven being allies of the Valkyrie, or at least the new orleans one is again a faction. The Horde was a faction in and of itself because no one in Lore trusts vampires. However, the Pravus would have been a faction with the Deathless, the fire demons, Lothaire and his vampires, and so on. You are assuming faction equals race when Nix has actually been building up alliances and forging her own actual faction of the Lore to fight together because of family ties. Yes, Furie awakening would be great..but how exactly do you plan on having her come out? The only person who knew where she was is dead, and the valkyries can not breath underwater long enough to go looking for her. A book about sea mythical creatures would be interesting but boring, because they would be a one shot plot device to bring her back which is worse story telling than expanding on secondary characters she introduces. And they would be a one shot story hook because unless they grew the ability to have legs out of the water, we would never ever see them again in the books. You want to know what i think will happen with the Scourge? The valkyries will be forced to turn against their allies on the cusp of victory, to give the scourge complete control. As for Furie, I think it would be a real kick if when she is freed by Kristoff if she is his Bride.


message 37: by Kathleen (last edited Dec 11, 2013 02:17AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathleen "You want to know what i think will happen with the Scourge? The valkyries will be forced to turn against their allies on the cusp of victory, to give the scourge complete control."

So...okay. But then what? The end?

Certainly Nix has been building alliances. That is where the series has been going. It's just not written that way. Cole isn't following her own script.

And Nix is not the first to bring "factions" together, but Cole herself negated that alliance option when an Accession occurs, as Lachlain pondered in AHLNO, "the Valkyrie had always maintained an uneasy truce with the Lykae...Until the Accession. When all immortals were forced to fight..."

Happy to accept your interpretation, but show me the supporting text. Cole needs to write something to counterbalance what she wrote in the first full length book -- the quotes in my review above.

Furie, under the sea. They can figure it out. The water is no more of an obstacle than the eternal fire was to Lachlain. Yes, it would make sense for Kristoff to free her, if he's the one.

I don't think I said faction equals race, but I'm not sure that it doesn't. The writing is muddy, IMO.

Valkyrie and Furie are related. Both were created by Freya and Woden. See Deep Kiss Of Winter.

But I agree about the relationship between Valkyrie and Witches, and all the rest that you mentioned.


message 38: by Mark (last edited Dec 11, 2013 03:02AM) (new)

Mark Avrit Pleasure of A Dark Prince Lucia mentions how Valkyrie fought Lykhae in 'ascensions of old'. That seems to imply that they haven't done it in recent times, such as when the Horde, which up until at least 300 years ago, which is after the last Ascension, was the only vampire faction. The Forbearers are considered new, and their absolute lack of anything Lore related says that they have not been around for the previous Ascensions. Otherwise Kristoph wouldn't have Nikoli or Murdoch trying to get information about the Lore.

Again, truce does not equal faction or alliance. Once again, in both AHLNO as well as Pleasure of a Dark Prince, the Lykhae are seen as allies of convenience at best. And if you can't trust someone completely, you don't fight along side someone while looking for the knife in your back.

All Cole has said was that 'one faction must win the ascension.' And it is usually the Horde, which are just vampires. But now they are just one faction of vampires.

That alone goes against the belief that faction = race. Otherwise if Faction was the same as race, even if one race won that means anyone related would win as well because they are all the same race, regardless of which side of the fence they fall on.

Which makes more sense to you, that there are factions that fight side by side such as Furies, Valkyrie, some Fey, and witches against assorted demonarchies, the Pravus if it hadn't fallen apart, or the Horde.

Or Factions are based on race, and even if they are on opposite sides the 'losing' ones still win because they are the same race.


message 39: by Kathleen (last edited Dec 11, 2013 08:16AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Kathleen Mark, thanks. You said, "Which makes more sense to you, that there are factions that fight side by side such as Furies, Valkyrie, some Fey, and witches against assorted demonarchies, the Pravus if it hadn't fallen apart, or the Horde.

Or Factions are based on race, and even if they are on opposite sides the 'losing' ones still win because they are the same race. "


my response:
Lol. I don't know! I am not trying to be difficult. It's just not clear. After 12 books.

The main point is that there must be a big showdown fight (or series of fights) where "the faction that loses the fewest members wins" -- Cole uses it in the singular form. Whatever it is.

Frankly, I just want to start seeing something epic happen. And it would be nice if Cole would clarify herself. We can try to infer and interpret all day long.


The Window Seat I think that in AHLNO, she was not thinking "long term" series. So I would say that the idea of factions, race, etc changed from AHLNO to say... WDOAWN when it the long term plan was more established. Honestly, I can forgive her the errors of AHLNO since, let's be honest. When you are writing the first one, no one knows if it is going to become a hit series where there will be 12 books after that. So you don't pay attention to the minor details - you just want the book out there and done. So, since WDOAWN it has been accepted that there will be factions in the Ascension. So I can go with that without it bothering me too much...

I didn't think the Furies and the Valkyries were one and the same necessarily. I thought that certain furies - like Cara and Fury - are the same because they were created by Woeden and Freya. Just like some Radiant Ones are also Valkyries. Cara and Fury are Furies because their third parent - the one who cried out to Woeden and Freya was a Fury... So by their very nature, aren't the Valkyries a faction since through W & F, they bring multiple races together as one Valkyrie grouping? Boy... now I am even confusing myself....

Personally, I REALLY want a Fury Kristoff pairing and I am not sure I care how it happens. Even if it means a little "little mermaid" action! :)


message 41: by Mark (new)

Mark Avrit That won't actually happen. Again, in Pleasure of a Dark Prince she flat out says "Ascension has never been a large single battle. Instead it is multiple smaller series of battles of attrition."

The Ascension isn't going to be some major apocalyptic battle, because Lore has to keep their existence a secret from humans. And that won't happen with major battles, instead over the course of the Ascension, however long it actually lasts, there will be running battles. Such as the loss of the Horde King, and the Horde faction of vampires breaking into smaller warbands and steadily being ground down. Or the Pravus being broken up and Orot and the Fire Demons dying or losing a lot of their number, same with the Order Daemonicus or however it is spelled.


Kyrsten ^.^ If it is really a series of battles than maybe it started with the battle on the island.

And I can absolutely imagine that Fury will be rescued by her mate who will sens here maybe during traveling to the island where the immortals were held

:D haahh I am so happy with my idea right now


The Window Seat Didn't someone... maybe, Regin? Explain the Ascension as a force? I am going to look that up....

And I too like the idea of Kristoff finding Fury near Immortal Island... maybe he is the one that stole the Love Boat? :)


message 44: by The Window Seat (last edited Dec 11, 2013 07:13PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Window Seat From DOADW.....

“Just remember that the Vertas are the ones you want to pull for in the Accession.” She cocked her head. “You do know what the Accession is, don’t you?”

“Of course. It’s a war between all the factions in the Lore, occurring every five hundred years. We just don’t know when exactly or where it will play out.” When she chuckled, he grated, “What?”

“It’s not a single battle. It’s a force that pits factions against one another. The Accession drags us into conflict, keeping our numbers in check.”

Yet more intel. One of the things he’d hated most about detrus was how they spread uncontrollably, unchecked by disease, injury, or old age. Now she was telling him there existed an inherent mechanism to make them kill off one another? “Then why not resist that force?”

“Because it also seeds alliances and brings mates together. Plus, fighting is fun.”

“And now humankind will be dragged into your fun.”

At that, she burst out laughing. “Mortals in the Accession? I think you kids should ride the pine in this one.”



Kathleen Window Seat! Good find!
Your quote adds a lot. DOADW is one of the few books that I skipped (I still might read it some day).


message 46: by Mark (new)

Mark Avrit The other person that Kristoph winds up with is Annika. She has kind of fallen off the planet since POADP as far as I know, and forcing Annika to accept a vampire as her mate would be almost as big of a coup as Furie returning and her finding she was Kristoph's bride.

Of course with Furie, it might put her in an odd spot where she hesitates to kill him simply because he was the one who pulled her out from under the ocean.

Cole has made it a point that with the exception of Myst, both Kaeden and Daniela wind up with their vampires because they are the one they felt things with, or in Daniela's case she is almost as much of a romantic as Melanthe is and desperately wanted to be with Murdoch.

And those three are oddities, as other valkyries and likely furies kill the vampire who's Bride they become. So if Kristoph rescues Furie, it would either make her hesitate to kill him if she is his Bride, or might make her hesitate if Annika was his bride as well. Adding in that three of her 'daughters'/'sisters' have forbearer mates as well...


message 47: by The Window Seat (last edited Dec 13, 2013 08:19PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

The Window Seat I am still pulling for Fury to be his Bride...

1. Before Ellie could react, Nïx had her knees shoved into Ellie’s shoulders, pinning her with freakish strength. Hair straggling over her wan face, Nïx murmured, “Helen paid with a broken heart. Furie paid. Emmaline—” This seems to be a list of Valkyries who "paid" by having Vampires as mates....

2. But there was more on the line. “You and I both know to whom she’s bound. Sinking her was also strategic.”

Both of these quotes are from LOTHAIRE

For who ELSE would sinking Fury be strategic in Lothaire's mind? A blooded Vampire is stronger. Lothaire was ordered to sink Fury because Demestriu didn't want Kristoff to be blooded and become stronger.


The Window Seat Kathleen❄ wrote: "Window Seat! Good find!
Your quote adds a lot. DOADW is one of the few books that I skipped (I still might read it some day)."


Read it! :) It is really one of my favorites of the series. It ranks up there with DFTD for me. :)


Kathleen I know, but I hated Declan!


message 50: by Haikufall (new) - added it

Haikufall Kathleen❄ wrote: "Totally nodding at that. Aiden berserker cannot be a hero to me. And Webb matched with Nix is truly nucking futs."

When was Webb matched with Nix? How did I miss this?


« previous 1 3 4
back to top