Amy's Reviews > Can You Forgive Her?

Can You Forgive Her? by Anthony Trollope

Nov 07, 2009

bookshelves: classics, read-in-2009, 500-plus-pages
Read in December, 2009

Loved this book! And that's a good thing, since it's almost 900 pages long. Yes, very long. But for some reason I really got into the story and loved that it was a long book. I've read Trollope only once before - the stand-alone novel The Way We Live Now - and it was pretty good. But I liked this one better, and it is the first book in the 6-book long "Palliser Series" so there's lots more to come if I choose to read them all (which of course I will....eventually).

Reading Trollope is very comforting, in a way. Compared to other 19th century novels, he's not so dark and gothic as a "Wuthering Heights" type of read. But since he's a male author, it's also not quite as domestic and feminine as your typical Jane Austen. He focuses on the characters and the relationships, but also adds the dimension of British politics into the mix. This book in particular did ask the question "What should a woman do with her life?", and it was interesting to see that question worked through from a male 19th century perspective. Overall, highly recommended (unless you really hate long books!).

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Can You Forgive Her?.

11/27/2009 page 423