Dennis Fischman's Reviews > The Tao of Twitter: Changing Your Life and Business 140 Characters at a Time

The Tao of Twitter by Mark W. Schaefer

1342011

bookshelves: nonfiction

I started tweeting about nonprofit communications a year and a half ago. I would say, "This is the book I wish I had read back then," except that might give you the impression it's only for beginners. That would be untrue. I'm glad I read this book today.

The Tao of Twitter is basic in the sense that it focuses on the basis underlying all successful social media--and a lot of life.

1. Targeted connections. "Systematically surround ourselves with people likely to want to know us, learn from us, and help us."

2. Meaningful content. Write, blog, and tweet for the people you want to reach. Make sure what you say will be important to them.

3. Authentic helpfulness. Don't sell. Connect. Find ways to help without already seeing (let alone asking for) a favor you can get in return.

One-third of the book elaborates these principles. One-third tells you how to put them into action through Twitter. And one-third tells you how to build on the basics and succeed.

It's true that the book has a business focus, but with a little imagination, nonprofits can put the same advice to work. I plan to blog about how to do this at dennisfischman.wordpress.com soon. Come join me there.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Tao of Twitter.

November 21, 2013 – Started Reading
November 21, 2013 – Shelved
November 21, 2013 – Shelved as: nonfiction
November 22, 2013 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by John (new) - added it

John Haydon I read this when it came out. It saved me lots of mistakes. :-)