Ted's Reviews > Farewell To Cricket

Farewell To Cricket by Don Bradman

bookshelves: lit-australian, sports

My copy of this book was bought used. It has a Geelong Library stamp in it. It seems decades old. I have no idea how much I've read of it, but nothing less than 5 stars for the Babe Ruth of cricket, as far as I'm concerned.

I can't say how much "personal" info is in it, i.e., whether it qualifies as a memoir or not. Much of it is reports of the various Test Series that Bradman played in over the years, his memorable scores, match-by-match summaries, that sort of thing.

The only reason I went downstairs and took a look at it was that I just listened to a Paul Kelly song called "Bradman". I'd never heard it before, and was surprised to hear a pop/rock song about Don Bradman. (view spoiler)

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Previous review: Ethics Spinoza
Next review: We Were the Mulvaneys
More recent review: God and the Ways of Knowing

Previous library review: The Sports Encyclopedia: Baseball baseball
Next library review: The Match golf

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Farewell To Cricket.

Finished Reading
November 20, 2013 – Shelved
November 20, 2013 – Shelved as: lit-australian
November 20, 2013 – Shelved as: sports

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)

message 1: by Rob (new)

Rob Very Melbourne then Australian is Paul Kelly. I hope 'From St. Kilda to Kings Cross' is on the compilation.

message 2: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted Yes indeed it is, the first of 40. I hadn't even heard it yet, because I started with the seventh. To Her Door, which I saw on YouTube and loved.

But I am listening to #1 now. Thanks Rob.

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm glad you've discovered Paul Kelly, Ted. You may like to check out his mini-performance in this promotional thing made by the Sydney Opera House in 2011. Not a Paul Kelly song, but still ...

message 4: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted Kim wrote: "I'm glad you've discovered Paul Kelly, Ted. You may like to check out his mini-performance in this promotional thing made by the Sydney Opera House in 2011. Not a Paul Kelly song, but still ..."

Wow, that's a beautiful and moving video, Kim. I have to admit I'd never heard that song, Nick Cave is not high on my visibility horizon. Of course I've heard of him, but don't have any music by him. I will rectify that soon, at least for that particular song.

I recognized which of the artists was Paul Kelly (I think) but it took two views. The other people in the video were all unknowns to me, even their names in the credits didn't mean anything as I recall.

Thanks a lot for that link, I know I'll watch it again. It's beautifully done, isn't it?

message 5: by Kim (new)

Kim I'm glad you liked it, Ted. There are some great Aussie (and Kiwi and Canadian) artists in there. I've recently discovered a documentary about the making of the video which you might also enjoy.

message 6: by Ted (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ted Thanks Kim. I watched the documentary last night, enjoyed it a lot.